Meet The 100 Year Old Woman Who Works 11 Hours a Day

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When almost everyone wants to retire early, a 100 year old woman is still working, longer than most people [11 hours a day, 6 days a week]. The woman, Felimina Rotundo, works at a Buffalo Laundromat and has no plans of quitting any time soon.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/2...n-100-still-working-11-hours-day-6-days-week/
    As long as she's healthy, she'll continue working. Working, she says gives her something do. Her advice to her peers? Go out and work. Huh? I doubt any of them will heed her advice.

2. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

That is awesome! Working is what keeps her doing. It give her purpose and she has to get up every day to go to work. She has something to look forward to. She is not sitting alone in a home somewhere waiting to die. I love her advice and I think more people should listen to her. As the saying goes, a little hard work never hurt nobody!

3. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Good for her! I'm betting she really loves her job if she's still doing it. Being active will definitely exercise your mind and body but I think she should get some vacation time too. I'd like to live to be a hundred too but by that time I'm hoping to be in a cottage in the woods and not in some laundromat, to each their own.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

For me retiring early doesn't mean that I'll stop working. I'll just move on and start working on other things I didn't have time for because I had to spend most of my time working to earn a living. When I no longer need to work for a living I'll work as hard if not harder than I did until I no longer can, doing only the things I love [like creating 3D art].

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While I don't think I'd want to work till I'm 100, I'm not sure that I'm going to be ready to retire later on in life.

Even when I have two weeks off work now I'm bored and trying to find things to do. I'd imagine that's what retirement would be like also.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Dude, she got her FIRST job when she was 15--DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION. That's insane.

Here I am trying to build a work ethic for myself--and she's putting everyone else to shame. Also goes to show the power of having a purpose in life. It is what keeps us going.

8. 111kg

111kg Guest

I too hope to get financially independent one day. I won't stop working, mainly because in my field, you can work up until yout 70-75 years old, as long as you can keep up. However, in my experience, these people need to feel productive in some way. Most of the younger folks don't get that if they stop their parents/grandparents from working, the older folks will start feeling hopeless and useless. They don't need only to rest.

So yeah, as long as she voluntarily chooses to do so, WITHOUT HAVING TO, good for her.

9. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

That's great! It's probably what keeps her healthy and living longer. I'm happy for her that she can do that.

10. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

That's truly inspiring especially for the younger generation. Most of us nowadays get burned out from work and wish that we could retire early but here comes this story of a woman who's already suppose to be in her retirement years (past her retirement years actually) but still she finds happiness in working despite her age. I guess one of the important things we could all learn from her is to enjoy and love what you do no matter what age we may be.