Microsoft or Apple stock?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by queenbellevue, Mar 28, 2015.

1. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I feel like I need to reiterate how important the debt-free part is. That is huge in investments.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I'm from Europe. Yes CURRENTLY windows is dominating when it comes to PC OS. But when talking about investing, you need to look at the future. First of all as I already mentioned some government facilities such as school are switching over to Linux because they can get the same performance for free. This already started happening in one of the nordic countries, might have been Sweden but I'm not sure. Majority of servers are already non-microsoft.

But where is the revenue growth for Microsoft going to come from? Smart phones and tablets... that's mostly iOS and Android. So there you could have a market gap but do you think that Windows can successfully take market share away from the others here? More and more corporations are switching to Linux. So where is this growth that investors need to be looking at, especially since most new technological devices are handheld?

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

After the whole fallout with the Apple Watch launch Microsoft stock probably went up. Microsoft has Windows 10 so hopefully that would do well. If it does not do well then I do not know what to say.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Definitely going to go with Apple. Theyre the most valuable tech company in the world right now. I dont see that changing anytime soon. Microsoft is a very valuable company as well and they will thrive for decades to come. They simply dont have the prestige and upside of Apple, though. In my opinion.

5. petesede

petesede Guest

Apple is a no-brainer. They are in the perfect business right now.. they sell a disposable product that costs hundreds of dollars.

I think MSFT is on it´s last legs. People are just not going to upgrade every time they release a new product. Tech stores were selling ´downgrades´ the last few years... Back in the day, as soon as there was a new Windows, people jumped on it.. but aside from OEMs, I doubt a large percentage of consumers will upgrade.

6. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Apple is a great company because they have stunning prices when comparing to Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't have a modern image and that slows it down.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Apple has one of the most highly priced stuff you see on the market. Take their laptops/desktops for example, you can get a pc with similar hardware for 1/3rd of the price. Not sure how it's with the phones, but apparently a new ****** costs something like $50 to produce and they sell it for $500. Not saying that microsoft is any better with the prices, but both companies have done well in the past simply because they charge a lot for their services and for some reason people pay that extra price.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Seriously, Apple overprices all of their products. I own some Apple products myself, so I'm not saying that I am completely anti-Apple, but they are not having the mindset of "what is the cheapest price we can give our customers".

9. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

Microsoft has been "Old Technology" for some time now. The world's moved on across a lot of technological areas that Microsoft is dabbling with. Apple is of course seen as being at the cutting edge for most things for some time. So on those terms alone, Apple has better prospects.

But are we talking about the best company or the best stock? From a stock perspective you've ultimately got to consider valuation, because however bad a company is performing if the valuation fully discounts the outlook (Microsoft not being as good), then the price could well be right. And if Apple is expensive (apologies, not able to check valuation at the moment) then I may not be as attractive after all.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Apple is still pretty cheap.