Millionaire Funds Rescue Mission in the Mediterranean

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by gracer, Jun 24, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

That is true. Persons like him are rare nowadays. At least we now know that there are still people who are willing to go the extra mile to help other people. It was a very generous act for him to do that. :)

2. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Millionaires help more than we think. I don't know if they do it out of goodness of their hearts, simply due to tax benefits or what motivates them, but in fact is great that they do help.

3. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm really tired of paying for those people. I have nothing against them and their families, it's normal to seek places to live in peacefully, but I shouldn't be directly responsible because they are in a dire situation. Honestly, I don't care about them, nor my pocket does.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I hate it when does something good and then go around telling the world about the good stuff they are doing. Yes he is helping but must the world know what he's doing? Rescuing migrants while it is a noble thing to do doesn't solve the problem. Why are people fleeing their homes? Get out there, start a school. Quality education is the answer to unemployment. There'll come a time in the future when companies will be outsourcing work overseas because they'll be paying those workers less money. Preparing the people living in poor countries for that should be the millionaire's objective.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The phrase "more money than brains" comes to mind.

But the fact that they're publicizing their mission makes me wonder if they won't soon start asking for "donations".

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Ah, and once they start asking for donations that's a lot of money they'll be raking in. Charities do make a lot of money after all but only a fraction of it reaches those who need the aid. So it might be just another business venture . . .

7. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

They're doing a lot of good at the moment though. Donations could only further their cause, especially if none of it goes to pocket.

8. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

That is why advisers are so important. Many time millionaires have more money and they don't know what to do with it, so they just support random causes.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

That's the thing - I'd suspect that it could be that much or all would go into their pockets - after they get a little publicity for what they were doing and then they perhaps stop doing it all once donations start to come in.

10. Beary

Beary Member

Hopefully he'll help them with room and jobs, otherwise it will be EU involuntarily funding this adventure. In a way, hes encouraging migrant crossings; it doesn't solve the problem.