More government involvement in the economy or less?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gmckee1985, Sep 23, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

In general which approach to you prefer in terms of economic policies? More government involved in the economy through higher taxes, more services, more regulations and more welfare, or the opposite? Personally I prefer a laissez faire, hands off approach to the economy. I think economic policies should be straight forward and there should be as little government involvement as possible. The American economy will function fine and straighten itself out if the government would just stop meddling with it. What say you?

2. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Absolutely have as little government as possible involved with the economy. We've seen in the last 6 years how more government intervention does nothing to help economic growth or promote job creation in the country. And people can't blame Bush anymore because we're far too into Obama's presidency to keep blaming the past policies of a president. It's just a tired excuse.

But I believe actually promoting small business to open and start ups to actually happen would go a long way in restoring the economy. Not taxing the hell out of everyone.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I'm all for as little government involvment as possible. A free market means that the people with the right skills, ideas and motivation will make outstanding companies that become successfull. A very controlled economy means that the guy with the most connections to the politicians will be the succesful one and no one (other than the politicians and their friends) benefit from this.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

What a good question here, I think the government should not be involved because they also have interests, so privates should do the economy, not the governments.

5. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I think that the government should get involved if their help is needed. There was a recent issue in my region that involved people rearing quails. They flooded the market to an extent that the eggs that were selling at a good price were almost being given away. The farmers requested the government to help, as we speak the government through their agent is organizing a market abroad for the farmers.

6. gmckee1985

I'm glad that there seems to be some agreement here, at least so far. With Obama's reelection it's obvious that there are a lot of people who think we need more government involvement, not less into the economy, sadly. I think it's a pretty even split. But hopefully people can get educated about laissez faire capitalism and realize it's the best path to prosperity. It's not perfect, but it's the best system out there.

7. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Less, a lot less. While there is a roll for government to provide safeguards and policing to keep the system fair, government meddling, intrusion, over regulation, and taxes do nothing to help the economy. Former President Reagan once said "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." In other words, exactly the opposite of letting the free market work.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with the rest of you - the less govt involvement and taxes and fewer regs we have in general, the better.

9. jason

jason Guest

I think the government should step in only in a crisis type situation where help is needed. Otherwise the market should be able to work freely on its own. When the two get tangled together I feel it mostly results in unnecessary policies and prevents progress.

10. gmckee1985

Glad to see there are so many advocates of capitalism on this board. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it's a Wall Street centric message board. Still nice to see. I think we've seen the government centric model doesn't work as we've had pretty mediocre growth at best over the past few years. Time to unleash the market and let it's magic work for all citizens.