More Problem Tenant Stories.

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by HeinrichM, Apr 8, 2014.

1. HeinrichM

HeinrichM Active Member

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Good grief, what a bunch of cretins. The druggies sounded like the worst of the lot. In our society, I bet it would be very hard for a landlord to recover anything from them in most cases. :rolleyes:

3. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

That's a fabulous article and one that anybody who is considering renting to others should read. Its not an easy way to make money and I can't imagine wanting to do it.

4. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

This story has really been an eye opener for me and although I am not totally ruling out the idea of renting this has given me pause!

5. N3wgirl

N3wgirl Member

We have found that even if people are okay tenants during the term of their lease. A lot of people will take it out on the rental property when its time to move.
    We have had tenants to take the appliances, or leave the place filthy stating, "take it from the deposit."
    You just never know.

6. LindaKay

LindaKay Guest

I have read that before. Some tenants are horrible. They trash the properties that they live in, refuse to pay their bills, etc. I understand that some people go through hard times; it's obviously inevitable. But some people bring those hard times on themselves, and some don't even try. Some are even professional scam artists, it seems!

7. wanderingwildman

wanderingwildman Well-Known Member

It is true that it gets difficult to recover anything. My friend works as a manager at an apartment complex. I am always amazed at the stores he has of people pretty much abandoning all cleaning supplies.

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Drugs addicts are the worse. I have a friend who had a drug addict couple in their apartment, they were not paying and refusing to leave. Finally the solution was breaking in her own flat and changing the lock!!!

9. LindaKay

LindaKay Guest

Yeah, the people who used to stay in the house that I rent now were drug addicts. Supposedly, they stole and sold all of the appliances. They also took out the fireplace, sold the shed outside and tried to steal all of the copper wire from underneath the house.

10. FivebyFive

FivebyFive Member

I once had a case back when I was in real estate law about a tenant who actually ran a "BAR" in her apartment and charged other people from her building for drinks. She basically turned her apartment into an after hours club. She managed to get away with it once the landlord tried to evict her due to a loophole. Basically when she was busted the police didn't follow procedure. I did have to applaud her though for even having the wherewithal to pull it off.