More Problem Tenant Stories.

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by HeinrichM, Apr 8, 2014.

1. hnatalieann

hnatalieann Guest

It's so scary the kind of people out there. Some have no respect for themselves let alone anyone else. It's such a disgrace to see how some behave!

2. LittleMissMia

LittleMissMia Guest

Or perhaps it is the society in which we live in. Chivalry is dead. I can't wait forever until the perfect tenant comes along. I know nobody is perfect and I am not expecting anyone to be, all I'm saying is that people now-a-days have completely lost all respect and courtesy.

3. LittleMissMia

LittleMissMia Guest

Oh my gosh that's horrible! I think you take the award for having the worst tenant ever! :0

4. Thehick

Thehick Member

It is never too late to change. If you feel those two areas which I mentioned previously could be the problem, then you have the power the change things. Landlording, like anything else, is a learning process. Learn to qualify your prospective tenants better. Investigate thoroughly. The internet is a great tool for this. When you get a tenant, start off in control of that relationship. "no" is a good word to help you keep control. Don't give your tenants a break on anything no natter how trivial it may seem. Tenants know how to play the control game and start by asking for small favors as a way to train the property owner. Can I pay rent late? "No". Can I paint? "No". Can I have a roommate? "No". And so on.

i have been doing this for many years and I still make mistakes. But I learn. So don't beat yourself up. Just learn.

5. Thehick

Thehick Member

There is one thing that these horror story tenants have in common: they didn't begin their bad behavior after they moved in - the problem behavior existed before that. The new landlord just failed to uncover it, though he or she had the ability and the tools to do so. One other thing the druggies and other undesirable types have in common - they're stupid. Their behavior proves that. So a reasonably diligent person should not be outsmarted by a stupid druggie trying to rent a dwelling. "Diligent" is the key word here.

6. JaydonTyler

JaydonTyler Well-Known Member

Maybe my uncle was your tenant. haha

He's known for leaving on bad terms. That's what drugs does to you though. It's not hard to be a good tenant, but people are too caught up in their selfish ways to care.

7. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I believe i have been to lenient to the point, the tenant is using intimidation and threats, plus he doesn't want to move out or pay, got all these mind games rallied up, the mistake was entrusting a family friend to the job and she can't do it either, she'd rather scurry off and leave me with all the dirty work {i understand its my property and good, bad and ugly i have to take on the job regardless but boy don't i hate people who like it when things are rosy and they are getting their fair share but once things hit rock bottom you are on your own cycle begins} good thing the authorities are on his tail, my, what a learning curve, yep some tenants are from hell itself!

8. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

How is this going for you now? Did you get anywhere with the horrible tenant? And have you started legal proceedings to have him evicted? Have you reported the threats?

9. cmiller

cmiller Active Member

This is terrible I believe there should be a penalty for tenants that destroy places and just leave like its nothing.

10. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

@ Kate, thank God, he moved out, i wish him nothing but the worst, he really messed up the house and has that audacity to ask for a refund of his rental deposit, thankfully, you remember me asking you how you got your professional real estate agent, i got one in the nick of time, i 'll just repair the house slowly as time goes by, my, some tenants are really a pain!