Motif Investing from a different angle

Discussion in 'Online Brokers' started by User911, Apr 4, 2015.

1. User911

User911 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've written about Motif Investing before but I thought about a different way to look at them today. If anybody is a real stickler about saving money on the fees every time they make a trade, Motif Investing might be the way to go. Basically, if you open up an account there you can create a portfolio of stocks you would like to buy. You can make it a private portfolio so nobody else on the site sees it or public if you want to be paid royalties. So say, you know this year you want to buy $1000 of IBM, $500 of Verizon, $500 of Apple and $1,000 of Intel. You create a portfolio with these 4 stocks in it, set up the amount or percentage that you want to spend on each stock and then buy all 4 at once. They only charge one flat fee for this "single" transaction. It's only 9 or 10 bucks, which in this case would average out to $2.50 or less per company. That's a pretty good rate for fees.

I guess it all depends on how you like to buy your stock, but this would be a good way for some to save on fees. Hope this helps someone. :)

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

That is an interesting concept... though I'm a bit skeptical. Mainly because I want to buy in small pieces over a long period of time.. but I can see how this could be very good for some. So it's always a fixed fee, no matter how many shares you have in the portfolio?