Motley Fool: History Says There’s a Crash A-Comin’

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by SteakTartare, Sep 28, 2014.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I just read an interesting piece on The Motley Fool site. While not gospel, by an stretch, they do publish some good commentary. The article is entitled "History Says There’s a Crash A-Comin’" and can be read here.

What do you think of the piece? Spot on or off the mark?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

There will always be another one sooner or later. And whether it's tomorrow, next year, or 5, 10, or 30 years from now, those who have been "predicting the next crash" will proclaim themselves "geniuses" and go around telling everyone "I told you so!" :D

3. Eziospick

Eziospick Guest

Isn't that about like predicting an earthquake will occur in the future or a tsunami will wipe a city off the coast. It's gonna happen oneday in the future. When? That's umm..well you see the conditions are right for this and that. I guess you just gotta take these things with a grain of salt.

4. eagletal88

eagletal88 Guest

I keep hearing about this impending Stock Market crash! So what? The Market will recover, like it always does. Plus, if there is a crash, that means there will be deals for us investors.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There will be a crash but it won't happen this year. Almost everywhere they are predicting the same thing. Things will get bad for a little while but . . . yeah towards the middle or end of the year "things will get better." In fact that's what I expect. If there will be a crash then maybe it will be next year or the year after or . . . nothing is certain. It COULD take a decade before there's a crash.

6. turt

turt Guest

Haven't we heard the same thing for the past couple years?

This year will be interesting though. Money is moving out of energy and into other businesses. These other business need to perform well to prevent a sell off.

7. troutski

troutski Guest

I think we'll see a crash or two over the next couple years. I doubt it's going to stop the markets from trending upwards overall, though.

8. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

Well artificially lowered gasoline prices could be the seed to the next economic bubble, but I hardly think we are anywhere near a crash. YET! Even if we were most people would have no idea because the talking heads have a way of minimizing (or villainizing) everything so we never can be to sure whats going economically. What was it we just went thru? Recession? depression? or we out of it or in it still? Did it ever even happen?

I have to laugh how in a period of an hour of listening to the news you can hear that things are great they are recovering, then right after Oh my GAWD the sky is falling. Motley Fool is no different, they tend to sensationalize stuff because they are all about subscriber base. thats what keeps them in business. Overall it seems since Christmas most of the talking heads have been beating the "you better watch out drums" last night it was all garbage on how we will have another major terrorist attack in a year. In a year? seems like we hear about one almost every day.

9. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

Right now I only really follow the Canadian and US markets. I'm not so hot on the Canadian market and expect a bit of a nose dive, but I think the American market is red hot and a great place to invest in right now. In terms of a crash... that's just too hard to predict right now. I like to think we're okay for now though.