Negotiating the lease agreement.

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Investor, Feb 28, 2015.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

You mean to tell me even an insurance contract is negotiable?...if that's the case, my insurer has put a blinding mask on my face...i must be in the dark...thank you for that insightful comment, she's in for a rude shock ;)

2. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I think it is quite great to be able to negotiate a lease contract. There can be nothing better than that. I do believe that it is of great value.

3. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Never heard of it, every where I go or from what I have heard , I have never heard that a lease agreement is negotiable, always, the landlord types up a lease agreement, that the tenant has to comply and if the tenant feels like they can not comply, then they should not get involved, but it is good to learn that a lease agreement is negotiable on both parties.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Might be different where you live but at least in most countries that I've been to there are multiple different insurance companies. If you don't like the current contract, check out the others companies. Competition is tough and they are all looking for new customers, so you can easily find a good deal for yourself by comparing different contracts and talking to the insurers.

For example you really like your current company but someone else is offering the same deal for $10 less per month. By all means get that other offer written on paper and go to your current company and say "look I've got this offer from another company. It's the same deal but cheaper... now I like your services so I'd love to stay with your company but you are going to have to match your competitors price." Most likely they will say yes and you just won $10 per month. If not then just change over to the other company, you still save $10 per month for doing a bit of paperwork.

Same thing works for a lot of contracts, from bank accounts (interest rates), mortgages (again interest rates), cell phone contracts ($$$/month) etc. All these companies are benefitting from each extra customer they have so they don't mind lowering their own margins a little in order to keep you as a customer.

5. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Never looked at it from that angle...'rigidity is the fall of many a man!'...'flexibility took many a man far and wide!'...thank you crimsonghost for that insightful idea..noted down, now to be implemented :)

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I agree with that perspective, sometimes have smaller margins can gain us long time clients or tenants, so we need to be wise and see what is working better for us.