No More Tipping at Joes Crab Shack

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 12, 2015.

1. turt

turt Guest

I think it's more of a way to earn more money. If the hourly pay is low like kitchen staff, they increase prices and pocket the rest. They'll also lose good servers who will make better money elsewhere.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm a generous tipper - not foolishly generous, but generous. At least 20%, usually somewhere between 25-33% at my favorite places I frequent.

40% on occasion to the hot young female waitress or bartender who I'd like to shag is not unheard of - and it sometimes helps... :D

I've had several lady friends over the years who worked in high end or high volume restaurants/bars who made a very nice middle class living off the tips they earned.

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Maybe it's more for the staff than the customers? Having some job security make people take the job seriously and also beside staying longer staff will be loyal. Servers tend to stay and go from one place to another depending on the tips, and in some places when there are fewer covers during the week, they get less tips.

It may also encourage people to eat out more, hence it will stimulate business too. Some people are put off by eating out because of tipping or excessive service charges.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

When the subject of tipping comes up, it always reminds me of the opening scene on the film reservoir dogs, when they're all sat round the table in the cafe and they're all arguing about who's put a tip in and who hasn't.

If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a look.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well yes, you can expect the prices to jump the 20% or what ever it is that you are usually tipping. But in the end, if you don't tip, it's going to end up the same for the customers. But it can have a psychological effect when you see the higher prices.

And of course tipping shouldn't be outlawed, you have the right to donate money if you like the service. But it should be that... a right to do it.. not an obligation.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

My daughter is a single parent. She works in a bar. Her and her daughter could never survive on her wage alone. She does extremely well when it comes to tips. She is very pleasant and her customers really like her so they tip her well. She is living better now then she ever has.

I have been at restaurants where waitresses and waiters go above and beyond and I should be able to tip them for that. However, I shouldn't be forced to give somebody a tip who is unpleasant and doesn't care about the service they provide.
    If they stop tipping and pay everybody the same then I am afraid you want get the serve that you get when they are working for a tip.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Nah, I think the food prices will go up much higher than 20%. A typical waitress at a high end or high volume joint who may only be paid the minimum hourly wage from the restaurant/bar, may make as much as ten times that or more on average in tips paid by the customer.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Now if you change that to a system that forces the bar or restaurant to pay $30-40k a year to each server themselves, expect the food prices to go up sharply to offset this huge increase in payroll the establishment must bear.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Fair point. However, like it or not, waitressing is a job that almost anyone with a bit of motivation can do. So I don't see companies paying $40k a year to a waitress when there will be 5 waiting in line to work for them at minimum wage.

In Europe most countries have a "service included" system where you tip if you want to but the waitresses are paid a normal salary, often close to the minimum wage. Knowing quite a few people in the business: restaurants/bars/cafes are NOT in short supply of employees.

Though it could be a bit different in the USA since in EU most of the waitressing is done by students. School is free so they do a bit of waitressing on the evenings and graduate with zero student debt.

9. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Restaurants are like any other service industry. Yes they can get people to work for minimum wage but most are not working very hard. If you motivate good workers with a raise and responsibilities you end up ahead of the game due to increased productivity and customer satisfaction. Grades count for very little compared to motivation and an affinity for the job. The employer can choose to reward and grow that talent, or just stick with a constant turnover of minimum wage people who do not give a shit about the company and so are happy to slack off and steal.

TL;DR if you think specific customers can encourage good service with just the promise of a few dollars, is it not obvious that employers can do the same through linking overall performance to overall salary.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I don't mind a rise in prices, because that still makes an establishment competitive. At least you see what you are getting. When I see high prices with poor quality food, then why would you want o go there? Places need to make their food worthy of the price.

To me service from servers should be minimal in any case. Of course they are helpful in most places, but these days many run with few staff, so how can that be good? I also find tipping to be bad in that if you need assistance, for example you drop a fork and another server happens to walk by, she won't help because she's not your table and doesn't get tips from you. Is that right? Many do behave that way and it makes 'service' a joke. If staff all got paid the same, they would work as a team.