No More Tipping at Joes Crab Shack

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 12, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think we're that's concerned it depends on the place, and some do have certain sections that are covered by a specific server. If I was a member of staff though and a customer needed attention and his server wasn't around or busy then I'd go over and help no matter what section they was in, and I'm sure others would think the same way as me aswell.

Surely it's best that the tips at the end of the night get put together and then split between all the servers equally? If good service means working as a team, then they should be rewarded as a team.

2. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

When I was working in takeaway delivery, I rarely got tips and never complained. On the rare occasion that I did, I was very grateful. It disgusts me how angry some American waiters can get about not being tipped.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

this is how it worked in one place that I'm more than familiar with. They had these "tip buckets" and they put everything in them and split it at the end of the night. It certainly worked for that place but in places where the tips = most of your salary I imagine it might create some tension between the workers.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

that is because they depend on the tips for their income. The hourly wage they get is not enough to survive on, they really do NEED those tips to live a normal life.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Just an aside, I just went to the Joe's Crabshack website. They have a very generous policy if you buy gift cards there for Christmas. You get many Joe's Crabshack coupons. I forgot the exact amount. Of course the people I want to get it for don't have a Joe';s in their area! There is always something! I bought a t shirt there once, I don;t know where it is! It is a good restaurant though.

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

What a great day for capitalism. Tipping was invented at speakeasy's you know when the prohibition started in the 1920s you were supposed to tip your servers who were able to serve you the illegal liquor. I believe that tipping should be stopped and waiters should be given the standard hourly wage or higher. I hope the experiment at Joe's Crab Shack will go well.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I agree and when a person is relying on tips to make up their wage to an acceptable hourly amount, then something needs to be done.

Like what's been said already, people don't feel the need to tip servers in McDonalds or KFC, and that's mainly because they know they'll be on a set wage in the first place.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

A minimum wage - especially an artificially high one - is not exactly "capitalism".

9. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

If a place offers a good wage, then surely they will get the pick of the bunch of staff, who will also choose to stay? I watch 'Undercover Boss' and when they follow servers and bus boys in the restaurant and kitchen, the CEO then sees how bad conditions are and how hard it is to make any money. Some do something about it, and many who do badly ended up with no tips that day and admitted it was flawed and they don't know how others cope.

A $10 minimum wage should be acceptable in most places, but many places still report servers get $2-3 per hour and the tips make up the minimum wage. As no one wants to report the establishment, they get away with it.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The actual level that a minimum wage should be set at will be an ongiing argument, and while some people can live off $10 an hour, if they are then only contracted to work 10 hours a week or part time, like a lot of people in this industry are, then that $10 an hour won't go very far.