No Social Security Increase

Discussion in '401k, IRA and Retirement' started by My401K, Oct 19, 2015.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well I don't see this as a huge issue as, if I understand it correctly, you are pretty much expected to build your own little retirement fund in the USA, one that should help you cover your living costs after you retire. So if you are losing a 1 or 2% increase in social security, surely that isn't the end of the world?

Then again, I see no reason for doing this. That small increase wouldn't have bankrupted the government, I'm sure they could have easily cut some expenses to allow for this cost of living increase. And usually in these situations the money the retirees receive goes back into the economy pretty fast.

2. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree they could have cut some of their expenses for the little bit that the increase would have cost. They are living high while people are scraping to get by. Then again they really don't care about the citizens anyway. It doesn't matter how you vote or who you vote. It doesn't seem to make a difference. You still have no say.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

That's the problem with all government's and they have become so disattached from the people on the street there's no way to get that trust back.

People see politicians as people they can't trust, and will vote for the ones they dislike the least, rather than the ones they have empathy with.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Pretty much yes. But hey, as long as you vote for the ones who aren't in the government right now then there will be change. Surely, at some point, someone has to make an effort to be good enough to get elected multiple times? At least that's my way of seeing things... there has to be a few decent people somewhere in there.