Noise is a factor

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Corzhens, Sep 23, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

In a city you get used to the noise level and while there are occasions it get a bit much, people mowing their lawn at 6am for example, it is something that you just learn to block out.

If you've never known any different, and I haven't you just get used to.

2. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

I've always lived in a apartment or home that has been close to some type of noise. I do love the aspect of living place where there is a bountiful level of countryside in Spartanburg but then you run into the whole entire factor of if something happens in the case of an emergency if some of being able to call someone. I don't quite see myself living someplace like New York living on top of one another and possibly dealing with the whole factor of literally someone on top then on both sides of me but I do know that a certain level of noise this is fine its just the whole entire central location of being able to deal with or break yourself into the whole entire regime of being able to take in that noise. I love peace and quiet but I don't have peace and quiet when it's outside and all you hear is crickets 24 hours a day that would drive me absolutely nuts.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

With the technology we have now, it would be perfect to live in a house in the prairie. Can you imagine sitting on the porch and what you see are grasses and plants and maybe some animals and then you have your smart phone and you are connecting with friends in the city? That would be great for me. I'm all right with the sound of the crickets and you can include the croaking of the frogs when it rains. But the noise of nature can be tolerated unlike the urban noises created by people with no concern for their neighbors.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

For me, the relentless noise of crickets for example would be harder to tolerate than urban man made noise, but that's simply because it's what I'm used to.

Ask somebody who's only ever lived in a rural area, and they'll say the exact opposite I suspect.

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Ah, crickets... I love them! For me it reminds me the warm summer nights by the beach, I love crickets and I don't consider that to be noise. :)

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

When I went from living in the country to living in the city it was quite an adjustment. It was always so quiet where I lived before. Once I moved to the city there were always sirens going here and there, cars everywhere, public transportation. people partying, etc. It took a little getting use to but overtime I have learned just to block it all out. I hardly even notice the noise now. It is just a way of life! I don't have a problem with it.

7. Nox

Nox Guest

I've been fortunate enough to have always lived in a place that is just outside of the city. So noise is very minimal, traffic is almost non-existent (until I get to the city) and the people are generally friendlier. I also find that the food is always cheaper, and maybe it's because I live closer to the farming areas, but I find the fruit, veggies and meat are a lot fresher as well. The one down side is that you live far away from the centre of everything, and that can be a huge opportunity cost at times. I also find that I'm not always able to do everything I want to do in the city, because I have to take traveling time into consideration. You win some and you lose some I guess.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I remember when we were in the city with those noisy neighbors. Add to that the motorized tricycles that ply the roads. You can hear the noise of the motorcycle's engine even half a kilometer away. Our dog was choosy, she would eat sparingly and we had to coax her every time. But when we moved to this suburban house, our dog gained good appetite that she eats almost anything we serve her. And that's maybe because of the peace and quiet atmosphere here. So it's not only humans who are affected but animals as well.

9. 111kg

111kg Guest

To be honest, at this point of my life, I'd rather have noisy neighbors in the downtown rather than living 8 km away from the city and wasting 2-2,5 hours a day on going and coming back home. Of course, living in a noisy place can be disturbing, but at this stage of my life, I can't afford to waste 750 hours a year on the road. That's almost one month!!

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

I do right now and it's very obnoxious. I live right by a high school and they have games often. They last until 9:30 pm and they have a speaker that's VERY loud. Plus you can hear all the cheering. My 1 year old and 3 year old go to bed at 8:30 or 9 so it doesn't help them when they hear all this noise. It's hard to get them to sleep. We once had a tenant that had a very loud dog that would constantly bark at night when the tenants were away from the apartment. Wow that was incredibly inconsiderate and rude. They finally moved out I think because it's been a while since we've heard anything. The other night people were fighting outside, I always hear people talking loudly when they walk by my window. It's just pretty annoying not having that much privacy and quiet.