Obama and Immigration

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ally79, Nov 21, 2014.

1. ally79

ally79 Guest

What did you think about Obama's speech on immigration last night? Do you agree with his new policy, or do you think that it is bad for the country as a whole?

2. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

There has been a precedent of all US presidents addressing issues via an executive order. Presidents G. W. Bush, and Regan have both addressed immigration through executive actions. I believe Regan was the most generous towards illegal immigrants. Our current president is no different.

Now, just as expected the republicans decry being cheated the legitimate political process of addressing immigration reform. President Obama's answer was, "Pass a bill!" Congress still has the opportunity to legally address reform.

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

In this case I just do not care what Congress does. Immigration has always been a blessing and a curse. There is always going to be people who come to a country for the right reasons. Then you got the people who want to have things accomplished while immigrating to a new country.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

There are significant differences with the Reagan and HW amnesty actions than this recent action by the president. There is an article in The Atlantic that goes over the differences and it may be read here.

Until the country gets serious about border security and employer verification, the problem is just going to continue. Now that an amnesty is on its way, its yet another incentive for illegals to cross over.

5. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

I just discovered that President Reagan gave "Amnesty" to over 100,000 parents of illegal or undocumented immigrants. The Republicans are setting a double standard. That has been one of the reasons their critics say the current malicious and vitriolic vilification of President Obama smacks of racism.

6. SteakTartare

Double standard, well, I don't really understand the alleged charge, so won't address said.

However, on the topic of racism: As a Hispanic American and a life long Republican, I take umbrage to the notion that Republicans are anti-Latino. My grandparents came to this country legally from Spain (Cataluña), learned the language, gain citizenship, worked hard, and made an honest living here. My father paid for his education through the sweat of his labor, held a job, and had a family to which he passed these values to. I, like my father, worked very hard, got an education through my own labors, and established a family after said. My business partner of many years is Puerto Rican, I have family in Argentina, and I have many friends of the various Latin peoples (the closest being a Castilian woman and a Cuban man). President Reagan once famously said "Latinos are Republicans. They just don't know it yet." He had a point as our people, by and large, value strong families and taking care of them via the fruits of hard work.

I, like many Americans, Hispanic or otherwise, welcome legal immigrants from Mexico, Central American and anywhere else. As an example, one of my good buddies from college is Vietnamese, while I found his culture very different than mine, I admired his work ethic and technical prowess. Most of us Americans only ask that immigrants follow the rules, learn the language, contribute to society, pay their taxes, and be loyal to this nation. You know, like every other group that has come here. :)

7. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Well it is not feasible to stop illegal immigrants from coming into America completely. Logistically speaking it just cannot be done. I don't think Obama should make it easier for them to become citizens though. I think maybe each state should have its own agency to seek out and deport illegal immigrants. But without federal funding I doubt this would have any effect either.

8. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Yes if it is legal and the right people come then immigration is the greatest thing for a nation. They are an igniter for the economy and, for the most part, ones that come here legally make worthwhile contributions, are educated and help the economy grow. They pay their taxes and offer a taste of their culture to make America more diverse and unique. I am surprised you call yourself Hispanic if you are of Spanish descent though. I had a friend from Spain who got upset if he was referred to as Hispanic. He said I am Spanish. I said okay boss my fault.

9. SteakTartare

Hispanic is an ethnonym of the peoples of the Spanish language groups, both in the context of history, but under the laws of the United States. For example, under the census categorization, my race is "White" and my ethnicity is "Hispanic."

My hunch with your boss is some Spanish-Americans of the various groups from the home country (e.g., Castilian, Catalan, Basque, etc.) bristle at the term because it is sometimes confused with groups from elsewhere. For example, my grandfather would go ballistic when called "Mexican". I'm not entirely sure why, other than the fact he was not from that country and was proud of his Catalan heritage.

Personally, I think our society is too hung up on labels and assorted nonsense. If you are good citizen, take care of business, etc., it really doesn't matter.

10. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

You are right immigration is a blessing and a curse at the same time,it has both good and bad people and the good ones come and do good things that boost the economy,so it is a complicated situation.