Obama and Immigration

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ally79, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Immigration will always be something difficult for all the politicians around the world to handle with. It means cheap labor, but it also means potential social instability, so it has to be dealt with extreme care.

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

True, Gelsemium. Its a hot button issue where ever you are in the world. What adds even further to the issue in this country is that there are millions of illegal immigrants bypassing the laws that govern coming to this country. Most illegal aliens are good people just looking for a better life for their families. Plenty, however, are here to commit crimes (e.g., drug trafficking, human trafficking, identity theft, etc.), so that ads even more fuel to the fire.

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

That was the problem with Reagan he gave out Amnesty to all those people. Then you got so many parents who leave their children here without hesitation. I do not think of the current president as a racist. He just did not think that these people should be allowed to come to this country without being documented. I mean immigration is always going to be a struggling problem that needs a lot of work. I would definitely carry about in reducing the number of people who come here undocumented.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Profit5500 touched upon a good point. The Reagan and HW Bush amnesties failed in their goals. If anything, they encouraged even more illegal immigration. Repeating the mistake is hardly a workable plan.

5. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Yes, but the fact that mistakes continue to be made says much about the immigration policies that exists, it just means that it's a complex matter and that there is no interest in totally closing the doors.

6. ally79

ally79 Guest

There is certainly no interest in shutting down immigration completely on either side. I mean you have to have your cheap labor right? There has to be a way to fix the current broken system though.