Obama Is Wrong: Mass Shootings Do Happen Elsewhere, And More Often

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by SteakTartare, Dec 4, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Investors Business Daily has an interesting piece about Obama's claims of, quote, "I say this every time we've got one of these mass shootings. This just doesn't happen in other countries ..." This is, of course, hogwash. In terms of frequency of such shootings, the US is 9th. With respect to mass public shooting fatalities per million people, the US comes in 8th. Also keep in mind half of all civilian owned arms are owned by Americans. Anyway, I thought others might find the data interesting.

Obama Is Wrong: Mass Shootings Do Happen Elsewhere, And More Often

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

The shooting in Paris is a premeditated action and it's actually scripted so the attacks were in different locations. But the recent shooting in the US, killing 14 people is an isolated case, that's how I see it. It is also a premeditated action but the killers have the intention for a specific target. I call those incidents personal shooting, to mean that it is an isolated case and not part of a conspiracy or a syndicated move. Public shooting is happening elsewhere and it cannot be avoided.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I read somewhere a little while ago, and I forget where (it's gonna bug me like crazy now), that some country in South Africa has the highest rate of mass shootings.

I think the reason the ones in the US get so much attention is because the USA is a civilised country and, depending on which way you look at it, number 1 on the worlds stage. I'm not advocating the shootings in any country but the comparison is kind of interesting.

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

South Africa has a high rate of gun related crime, and it's acknowledged that people get pulled over and robbed at gun point in their cars on a daily basis. Sadly those are motivated for robberies, but here these gun attacks are on the public in a public place for no apparent reason. People don't pull out guns to shoot someone over an argument or if they have road rage, toddlers don't shoot their family or friends by accident in other countries on the same level as it happens in the US.

The US does have more access to guns, and mass shooting don't happen as frequently elsewhere as they do in the US. With IS it is happening more around the world, but take IS and terrorists out of the equation, you still have the students who kill on campus, people in malls and movie theater, and public buildings. The Paris incident was a planned attack and it was because it was a major capital city.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Obama probably thinks exaggeration would achieve the results which he seeks. What Obama wants for some reason is tighter gun control [though obviously that wouldn't keep guns out of the hands of people who intend to commit crimes]. Though mass shootings happen elsewhere the fact that too many Americans own guns the leftists believe that some laws should be passed which will make the country "safer."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

As I opened an earlier thread on this subject, I said would like to know where he gets his drugs from. I'd like some. It must be nice to live in lala land. Does France, Mali, Nigeria, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Mexico ring a bell? POTUS made a similar statement at the recent opening of the Paris environment conference. Where does he come up with such ideas? Is there no White House czar to prevent him from making such ridiculous pronouncements? Other countries must be laughing behind our backs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  7. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

He definitely living in lala land if he actually believes his statement to be true. It is happening everywhere around the world and happening more often. I guess he doesn't care or listen to what is happening in other places. To make such a statement is ridiculous.

8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

The San Bernardino shooting may potentially be a game-changer for many Americans in terms of highlighting how disingenuous and/or delusional the press and our politicians are, when weaving empty narratives.

Another wrinkle in this issue is that people keep harping on about gun violence in the US, when it takes two seconds to go to Google and find a report from the Pew Research Institute showing that Blacks in the US are responsible for the most gun violence. But that's simply too much of a minefield for politicians the media to touch, so they will ignore it.

9. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Welcome to the world of political correctness.

Any gun crime committed by a Caucasian person then that better be made the top story, but if it's a crime committed by a black gang-banger....better sweep it under the carpet.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member