Obama rewrites Cuban embargo history and MSM misses it!

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Jul 2, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I was surprised on Wednesday that Obama applied revisionist history to the announcement of opening reciprocal embassies in Havana and Washington. Near the end of the speech, he said President Eisenhower implemented the 1961 Cuban embargo. Couldn't believe what I thought I heard and had to rewind the DVR to see if I heard it correctly! I did, I did.

While Ike signed some trading sanctions in 1960 and 1961, it was President John F Kennedy who signed the full embargo in 1962.

Those years that the USSR played war games with missiles in Cuba, the UN shoe-banging, the U2 overflights, the CIA's clandestine Radio Swan (Swan Island in the Caribbean) and the shortwave voices of Radio Moscow, Radio Havana and the Voice of Anerica were bother scary and interesting to me. Good times to own a shortwave receiver, on through the Vietnam War and NASA's operations to the moon.

What really surprised me is that the WH czars didn't fact-check the speech.

Worse yet, I didn't hear any MSM pick up on the revisionist history. Not one. Obviously I couldn't monitor all the evening news broadcasts, but surely I can't be the only person shaking his (her) head.

Pathetic.

2. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

That is how history is made, influential people say certain things and it's like they happened, when in fact the past proves otherwise. As long as time goes by no one really recalls it accurately though.

3. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

This is very accurate. History belongs to the winner. :)

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The MSM has always been Obama's PR firm. They rarely, if ever report on anything in any way that is the least bit unflattering towards him.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

JR, what surprised me the most is that not even Fox News, The Blaze, NewsMax and the conservative voices on talk radio mentioned the mistake. Again I wasn't on a fact-finding mission to catch media mistakes, but I thought *someone* would catch and mention it. But then I should know better than to expect quality research and reporting on the administration these days. :)