Obama Seeks 19% Global Minimum Tax in Bid for Road Money

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by SteakTartare, Feb 1, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Oh, real good. Even more taxes being proposed by the current POTUS. It is not like corporations aren't taxed to death already, right? Details on the proposal here.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Of course little if any will be used for its intended purpose, no matter what.

3. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

I am not so sure how they think they will even be able to tell what a company is making in future foreign earnings. I would imagine a publicly traded company would be more transparent but we know from past companies that even that is not always true. What about these companies that are not publicly traded? I am sure there will be plenty of ways for these companies to find some method to shield these profits from American taxes. Not clear on his intention here, is the IRS planning to guess what the future earning is going to be? And if they are wrong then what?

Maybe it is just me but this money grab seems to be pretty late, where was all this interest in helping the government cash flow back in 2008 when everything was going down the drain big time. It reminds me of mommy and daddy stealing change from the kids piggy banks. Has things really become that desperate it the US? That's a pretty scary thought. Hearing the 529 Funds were even being considered as revenue streams is scary. Not a good sign at all.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

No tax increase have a chance of passing in a Republican dominated Congress. Obama knows that. He's just pandering to his left wing base and setting the table for the 2016 Democrat nominee to run against the rich. Petty politics.