% of income you should play in taxes.

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gmckee1985, Nov 20, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Now, most polls show that people think they pay enough in taxes. But when they are asked if they want to raise taxes on someone else, such as "rich" people they typically answer YES. That's beyond hypocritical. That being said, what % of your income do you think is appropriate to pay in taxes at both the local and federal level. I would say we should pay a maximum of 20% of taxes. 15% would be more ideal. Anything beyond that is overdoing it. No reason people should be paying 40 and 50% of their incomes in taxes.

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I could not agree more. We get to the ridiculous point when the media say, more or less in June, July, August, that in that time we start earning money, before was just taxes.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

There used to be a joke: 10% is good enough for God, it should be good enough for the IRS. In all seriousness, though, the tax system needs to be flattened so everyone is paying at least something rather than the half of us that are doing it now. That and massive cuts to government pork could bring that percentage down. Way​ down.

4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I do agree with you, 20% is good enpugh anything above that is pushing too far, , that means people will be working to pay taxes.

5. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

The older I grow, the more I change my mind. The taxation of individuals would not hamper growth or development. However, the continued taxation of businesses, small or large, may impede the domination of the US as a world economic power. Therefore, congress should figure out a manner for fair taxation of our citizens.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There are some countries where the citizens pay income tax and a lot of other taxes.

25% of what they earn goes to the government. But they don't stop there. They also charge 10-!5% VAT on almost everything you buy. And then there are a number of other taxes. So in total, almost half of what they earn is the governments money.

IMO, 25% income tax is more than enough. Pay more than that and all we'll be working for is the government and lazy folks who can get jobs but want to live on welfare nonetheless.

7. ally79

ally79 Guest

I personally think that 20% of your income would be more than enough of your income to pay in taxes. What does the top 1 or 2% pay in taxes?

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Taxes are a complicated issue. I know a lot of people who don't mind paying high taxes. I didn't mind paying high taxes... that was when I actually saw that money being used well. But right now (living in Europe by the way) I feel that the large majority of tax money is just wasted on social benefits and bureaucracy. And thus currently I feel like every tax euro I pay is too much since it is wasted.

Something like 15% sounds reasonable to me. When used properly I think it would be enough for most countries... especially since there are so many other ways for them to tax you. But when they take it straight out of income at the same moment they lower your consumption.

9. gats

gats Senior Investor

I would rather live in a world where I pay 0% taxes. I know that is not very realistic unless I work a crap job under the table. I feel most countries are wasteful with their money and I would rather not encourage them.

10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I r early like the quote here about taxes and God. It is so true. We pay so much to the IS and in the end if we struggle, the government will not help us out very much. What exactly are we paying for? I know that we pay for things like roads and stuff, but have you seen all of the potholes on the roads these days? I would like to know what we are REALLY paying for.