Online privacy

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Alex, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Is there such a thing? Even if you are careful, your IP address can be traced and your accounts hacked. I try to limit any personal information online which is why I get annoyed when I have to fill out forms with too much detail when I don't really know how safe those systems are.

We can't escape the fact that the internet and computers are a part of life now, but there needs to be harsher penalties and deterrents for those who steal information. The act does not justify the means, even if it uncovers dubious dealings like the Sony scandal. It's still stealing, which is why governments are not allowed to access certain things, even if they can.

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to my privacy online. I mean I hate getting my picture taken because there is a risk it could end up on Facebook and it's a big reason why I do not have a Facebook account because of having to put personal info on it.

It's strange to me because it's not so long ago, 10 years lets say, that it was still a very big no-no to have your personal info online. Now-a-days though the trend seems to have reversed. Maybe some of you guys have been using computers about the same time or longer can understand what I'm saying by this. I started going online pretty regular in 2004 and even then it was still not advisable to publish your name online and now it's completely different.

3. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Yes, you can invest time and money to ensure online privacy.
    Services like VPN's can help.

BUT at the end of the day most of us don't have the know-how, the time, the money or the energy to devote to being anonymous online.
    Or maybe people don't care? I can't tell you how much oversharing personal information is freely put on facebook...

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Facebook is just, well, it's pretty much just shouting your personal info from a rooftop and it is just so easy to get any information you want on someone these days because the likelihood is is that it's all on social media. There was a story on the DailyMail site yesterday about how some guy, who did not like the negative review someone left of his book, tracked her down to where she worked, some 500 miles away, and smashed a bottle over her head while she was working.

It really baffles me.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

There are ways to keep your information safe. I mean sure there are some people / organisations who can find out most things... that's just how it goes. But people with such skill and resources... are they really bothered by a completely random person on the other side of the planet? No of course they are not.

So just do the usual. Change passwords once in a while, do regular anti-virus scans on your computer, don't share too much information about yourself, don't put your credit card info where it shouldn't be etc. and you should be fine.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I have had two friends who had people who used their images and set up fake accounts pretending to be them. It can happen when your own friends hare or have access to your friends page. It is hard with electoral rolls being online and emails addresses coming up in internet searches to keep everything private. Many people do not assume that something they post on a forum or on social media will be found on an internet search, but it can.

That's why when I see forums where people use their real photos as avatars, I wonder if they realize what risk they are putting themselves in potentially?

7. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Considering the fact that sites such as Google and Facebook expect someone to use their real identities online and lots of people already use Google and Facebook, online privacy is a thing of the past. While yes, it's a lot harder for hackers to get your personal information from FB or Google, hackers can get that information elsewhere on the net. And even if they don't, if the government wanted to find out what you have doing online they can get [virtually] everything they need from your ISP.

That's why more people should start thinking of using VPNs.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think people are as safe as they ban be online at the moment, and it's just about taking precautions and applying some common sense.

Most people will have a social media account, more then one probably and you'll be using your real identity on there, so I'm sure if people really wanted to they could find out information about you that you didn't want them to know, but I think that scenario is unlikely.

Nothing is 100% safe, if you want that then you need to live offline altogether.

10. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Yep online privacy is the same as owning your own house, no matter how locked it is someone can still look into the window or climb through the backyard. If thieves really want to get in, they'll get in all right. Better to keep yourself defended and invest in some security get CCTVs or in this case VPNs and make sure your networks are secure. Don't click on ads and don't download anything you are unsure of. Keep safe people.