Over half of Americans don't invest in the stock market

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by queenbellevue, Apr 10, 2015.

1. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I am still the same way, and I would say that I am slightly more educated on stocks than the average bear.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

This is very good advice. It works even better when you're dollar cost averaging.

3. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

I get that lack of education is an issue, but what should the solution be? To spoon feed info into the mouths of the younger generation? There's also no "education" on filing taxes, buying a car/house and all that stuff, but does that mean they get a pass on those things as well?

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well a small mandatory economics course should be part of the education system. I don't know if this is the case or not. But it has to be very basic, just explaining the main concepts. There are a million books and internet resources available, everyone has access to the necessary material to learn about how these things work in detail. In other words "lack of education" is no one's fault except the person himself. But I still think a small and basic economy course would be good just to get students to think about these things and to put a couple of ideas into their mind... they can do the rest of the learning themselves if they are interested.

5. queenbellevue

Exactly my point. The millennials have all the resources they're ever going to need at their fingertips but they're lazy. Lack of education is not an excuse. I know there are several schools that teach basic finance and econ but it's not mandatory nationwide yet.

6. turt

turt Guest

I took a finance course in high school and it was a joke. They don't teach you a thing about investing and the teacher barely knew a thing...

7. AtlantaSports

The American education system is still a joke within itself, honestly. I'm still in it.

8. AtlantaSports

An economics class in which they actually teach you about the art of economics, rather than just countless amounts of busy work, would be nice.

9. queenbellevue

I'm can't disagree because I never took a finance course in high school, but it's not like you don't have resources. The Internet has everything you need to know about investing.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

It does but someone needs to put that spark into young people. Just a small MANDATORY class that talks a bit about the basics of finance, explains the basics of investing, how it works, the risks and gets rid of the big misconceptions like "you need 100k to start with" and "you can lose everything overnight." Just something to get people interested, then they can look up the rest themselves.