Parenting — No One Knows How To Do It Right Anymore?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Most people think that just because they can have kids, they are fit to be parents. You've heard crazy stories about parents whose parenting skills have proven they were not good at it but how is it that people who are expected to be a little more responsible and good at this kind of thing aren't?

A Memphis police officer was arrested for threatening her daughter with a gun when she found out that the girl hadn't competed her chores.

http://www.wgem.com/story/29705510/...er-arrested-for-threatening-daughter-with-gun
    In a written statement later given to police, the daughter said Miller told her "it would only take one bullet and she wouldn't have to be here."

Anger can make people do stupid things?

2. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

Yeah, anger can make people do stupid things. So can drug abuse, irresponsibility, lack of morals, lack of experience, absence of good role models, and a number of other things that the current parenting generation are suffering from. I wouldn't say that no one knows how to do it right anymore, but there seems to be fewer and fewer good parents as time goes on.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Stupid, unfortunately, isn't against the law. We don't have enough prisons. Actually, the problem probably dates back to the 1960s or 1970s and the demise of the one-income nuclear family. If my wife and I behaved like the kids of today, we would not be here. Most likely we would be plant food in the rose garden.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Children today get away with so much more then we ever could have as children. There is very little discipline. There is lack of respect. Parents today want to be a friend to their children instead of being the parent. They don't set boundaries and there is a lack of morals. Most families have two working parents and a busy lifestyle. There is little one on one family time. Not all parents are bad and not all children are bad. There are good parents and good children out there but family life has changed a lot over the years and we are now beginning to see the results.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Maybe the education system should help a little here? Teach kids good parenting skills rather than hope that they'll learn all they need to know [about parenting] once they are adults. If nothing is done to change things then I fear the next generation will be be so lacking in discipline that not too many people will be that interested in being their "educators."

6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I think that anger can make people do stupid things, most of the times when you're angry you don't think about the consequences of your acts at all, all you want to do is relief that awful feeling.
    And people who are not qualified for being parents are a big problem in our society, it's true that no one knows immediately how to be the perfect parent, but that doesn't justify those acts of violence! That people need to realize that they are affecting a life, I don't want to imagine all the psychological damage that those situations created to the little humans.

7. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

I can't exactly say I agree with this.
    Which era exactly did you grow up in that you think kids today get away with more then you did when you were young?
    I am lucky my grandparents tell me what they did when they were kids. These days you would get arrested for what they just called "pranks."

8. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

There is not a correct formula for parenting, it's a permanent adjustment we have to make. We should never forget the basics though, love and discipline or love and respect, with those two in mind we will achieve good results.

9. Timber

Timber Member

Families and children

I agree with the basics. In addition, every formula must include the whole family eating dinner together (and no electronics at the table).

QUOTE=Sunflogun;28211]There is not a correct formula for parenting, it's a permanent adjustment we have to make. We should never forget the basics though, love and discipline or love and respect, with those two in mind we will achieve good results.[/QUOTE]

10. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

Anger can have a variety of effects on someone. All of those effects can have negative outcomes and consequences. With being a parent you have to have a lot of patience especially with two or more kids. This article is very sad because it shows what a parent is capable of doing just because a kid didn't finish their chores.