Parenting — No One Knows How To Do It Right Anymore?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

One of the major problems is that society encourages praise parenting instead of the traditional parenting that we all experienced as kids. When we got in trouble as kids, we could expect a spanking. Now spanking and punishment in general is frowned upon and instead parents are supposed to positively coach their kids. While it works with some kids, it does not work with all of them. When you scold your child in public you get looked at like you are an evil person and so most of the time I just try to save myself the embarrassment. It is ridiculous and I am afraid to see how the adults of tomorrow are going to behave themselves when they reach adulthood.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, in terms of parenting...most people learn to do what works. It seems like the older generation always complains about the younger generation and our parents no doubt complained about us. It just seems like the way the world works. Some parents are however, afraid to set limits, and afraid their children won't like them. We have to realize that we can't always be our child's friend. Our job first is to be a mom or dad.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Parenting is a big issue to us especially when we see kids on the streets begging for me. Children as young as 4 years old, roaming in the streets and trying to earn something to give to their parents, what would you think? The department of social welfare had already promised to arrest (and process for evaluation) those children on the street. But that promise was declared in 2004 yet. Until now, street children are common sights. Sometimes I wonder why God would grant children to those kind of parents.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Why would they arrest the kids? The children do as they are told. It's the parents who should be arrested but then again that would cause another problem. Who looks after the kids if the parents are imprisoned? Wouldn't they end up on the streets, begging? I think it's a catch 22 situation here.

Parents who know they can't raise their kids [either because they are poor or won't be there for their children] shouldn't have kids in the first place.

5. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I know what you mean LB. As our world advances and modernization continuously improves in time, the lifestyle and values of people have also changed. I could remember stories of our older folks regarding family life in their younger years, the mothers usually stayed home and took care of the household needs and the children while the fathers were the ones who brought home the bacon. Gone are those types of scenarios now. Maybe there are still some families who practice that but they're limited to only a few. With both parents working and having not much time for their children, it makes it hard for children and parents to have quality time with each other. I have witnessed that with some of my friends. Because of their claim that their parents never had time for them, they rebelled just to get their parent's attention.

I couldn't have said it any better than this. Being a parent is one of the toughest jobs in the world because there are no job descriptions or proper formulas given to us before we even decided to become parents. But having the right amount of love and respect for each other in the home is already a good start in rearing children properly. Having an open and non-judgmental conversation with them every now and then makes them feel that they matter to their parents. Sometimes it only takes a show of care and time to make our children feel that they are loved and valued. :)

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I always thought that raising children was easy enough the only thing you had to do was not get them killed unfortunately I was wrong. I takes a sound mind in a sound body to raise productive, well-rounded kids and if you're a parent with no morals, ethics or a house then raising a kid wouldn't be so different from raising a pet which is terribly bad people should get their heads checked before they're allowed to have kids.

7. Pneuma

Pneuma New Member

Good day.
    I Agree with alot that is said here.
    Looking at my life... I see that when it came to exams... I knew... I was taught /trained on how to prepare for them.
    Even when goin on holiday to some exotic destination I had knowledge of where I was to go... And I packed my bags #prepared for where I was going.
    In matters of exams,journeys and holidays... We generally manifest a level of responsibility - we prepare.
    But when it comes to marriage... and especially #parenting, many prove irresponsible by not learning /preparing beforehand.
    Full of false expectations... You will fail.
    Parenting like any other sphere of life has principles that can guide and govern. Right?
    Let's choose to learn.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Parenting is a matter that I'm not sure there is a set right or wrong way to be honest. Every child is different and will react in a different way, so while I think there's definitely certain guidelines that people can adhere to, having a set agenda might not be the best way to go.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Odd that parents these days are this irresponsible:

http://www.newser.com/story/211076/parents-drive-93-miles-realize-they-forgot-girl-3.html
    Police are questioning a French family after they apparently forgot their 3-year-old daughter at a rest stop while heading south to the French Riviera for a vacation.

And these parents don't even notice that their child is missing for almost two hours. Great parents they are. But if someone can forget their child in a "strange" place, how good will they be at raising this child? How many important life lessons will they "forget" to teach her?

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Pardon me for showing my true colors when it comes to parenting. My husband and I are doters of children. We love to see children especially those children wearing good clothes and who smell good. But when see the street children who are begging from the motorists, my blood pressure rises to the occasion. Sometimes I ask God why give those irresponsible parents beautiful children that they would just neglect. Worse, some of those kids on the street were working to earn for their parents who are into vices like drinking and gambling.