PayPal Takes steps toward accepting Bitcoin

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by CryptoKid, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I don't even get how someone buys bitcoins, like you say it's totally digital, so who is manipulating it's value? What are the base for the changes?

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

So does that mean I cannot get my bitcoins converted to other currencies through Paypal? So that would be a issue for some folks who want to have those services through Paypal. Bitcoin just has another challenge that has to be conquered I guess.

3. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Well-Known Member

Interesting - I have always heard that Paypal is specifically against digital currency, so it is interesting to hear that they are taking steps towards accepting it - especially when the price is down, I wonder what convinced them to do that.

4. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

That is a good question cameron, most likely a great business opportunity of course, but in fact PayPal just grows and grows. ;)

5. ormaybeso

ormaybeso Well-Known Member

Well it's a smart idea for PayPal to start handling Bitcoin, especially as it seems to be getting out of the dumps once again, I'm pretty sure it's around $400 right now from its staggering low of around $300 last month. If there's anytime to get back into the Bitcoin market (that is, get a share in it) then it's now for sure.

6. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

I agree, the more currencies PayPal has the better and virtual currency is something fascinating to own.

7. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

Definitely a good idea. It will increase awareness of the currency and encourage more people to start using it. This could then prompt more online businesses to accept it. Surely a step in the right direction?

8. mithra

mithra Guest

Oh this makes more sense! I had thought bitcoins could be withdrawn from your wallet to Paypal which will convert it to your local currency or to USD. I was so confused how that could be since bitcoin is still so unstable and fluctuates wildly. But if it's just being used as a payment processor, with your bitcoin wallet taking the place of your credit or debit card, then that makes a clearer pictures.

Thanks for the explanation!

9. petesede

petesede Guest

This... people don´t seem to understand this. Bitcoin is NOT an investment, it is a currency. In order for it to be taken seriously, it needs to have a stable value against other currencies. The reason the dollar is used by almost every country is because it is stable. If the value of a bitcoin fluctuates wildly in EITHER direction it is a bad thing for it´s acceptance as a real currency.

Right now it is more of a speculative investment rather than a currency.

10. workinglady20

workinglady20 Well-Known Member

I have been using PayPal for quite a long time and one reason I'm on is because I work from home and there are lots of jobs that pay by PayPal. This is great news about PayPal accepting Bitcoin. I've been thinking about using Bitcoin as another way to get paid so I just may start very soon. I think Bitcoin will keep on rising because it's extremely popular.