Paypal

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by crimsonghost747, Sep 30, 2014.

1. turt

turt Guest

I don't see how this is good for Ebay in the long term, just Paypal. Ebay offers no customer service to sellers and charges outrageous fees for what they offer. If Facebook makes a competing service, I don't see how they will make it. Paypal has a huge amount of potential.

2. jason

jason Guest

What kind of payment system is ebay going to go with? Are they planning on processing it on their own? I don't use the service anymore so I don't really know what is going on with them.

3. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

There's no reason why eBay won't continue to use PayPal. Remember, PayPal WAS a separate company in the late 1990s. PayPal was an accepted method of payment on eBay, before eBay bought them. PayPal is currently the largest online payment processor and eBay is one of the largest user-to-user marketplaces in the United States. There's no way that eBay can afford to dump them for some other service that no one has ever heard of.

And since the IPO was mentioned, if anyone wants to get in on that then the solution is to buy shares of eBay right now. eBay will give shareholders 1:1 shares of PayPal when they are actually split into a separate entity.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

The reason why ebay will not continue with paypal is because they are funding their own payment company I've understood.

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

What are your guys' thoughts on buying Paypal shares?
    On the one hand it's a massive company with lots of profit, on the other hand, the appearance of Apple Pay might cripple them a bit.

6. jason

jason Guest

If Ebay is making their own payment company, I'm not sure how much I would trust it. I don't have much faith in Ebay anymore. Their fees are way too high. I'm not against giving it a try but I'd be cautious about the whole thing.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Ebay has many issues true, but it's a huge company, so I am not seeing them making this move if it was not carefully planned.

8. BudFox

BudFox Well-Known Member

Dont think I'd be buyer at the start. I know they have the name and the reputation which means a lot on the net but I still think they will be priced too high. I'd probably start selling after six months and hold long term because my belief is that net payments will become a more locally controlled business at country level.

9. Colebra

Colebra Well-Known Member

I agree.
    If the right company choose the bite some of Ebay's market share, I'd say they have a decent success rate.
    I don't think that's the case with Paypal though.

10. vennybunny

vennybunny Guest

I think eBay has been left behind, technology wise. Ever since people figured out how to use sniping apps, eBay has been at a decline.