Pennies at a time

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Honestly, I do pick up change on the ground when I find it because it is free money and I consider it a bonus for all of the hard work I have done. If you were to pick up 1 penny each day, that equals out to $3.65 a year in your pocket, and even more if it is nickels and dimes or quarters. Why would you not pick up the change you find?

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I can see why people might find small pieces of change a sort of nuisance but I cannot at all understand why they would throw it away. I've got a small tin that's pretty much half full with little pieces of change I've picked up on my travels and it's come in quite handy when I've needed some change now and again. I don't see it as a bonus and I'll be honest I'm not really sure as to how I see it but If I see something I'll pick it up and add it to the tin.

3. 111kg

111kg Guest

Not really. One of my mentors taught me that I should always strive for more. If I bend myself to the ground to pick a penny, then I'll always be satisfied with getting 1/100 of what I could earn.

However, I do pick up all the change and deposit in a jar. Once I fill it, I go with it to the bank and make a deposit in one of the funds I invest in.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Re change on the ground, dId you ever think that a person is physically limited from bending over to pick up something small laying flat on the ground?

5. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

One time I was out drinkin', and some "big shot" was tearing up $20 bills.
    I promptly collected up all the little parts, went home tapped them together and went back to the bar and bought my friends $40 worth of good beer.

6. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

People tearing up money defies logic!

Did you have any trouble with the guy behind the bar taking the taped up notes at all? I once saw a guy try to get on a bus with a crumbled up £5 note that the driver would not accept.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

People who act that way are usually arrogant posers who are born with a silver spoon in their mouth and have lived off mummy and daddies credit card all their life.

Most of them certainly haven't earned their way into that position, because if they had they'd show a lot more respect.

8. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Yes it does add up and one day when you need it, you'll be able to use it! It's always nice to have that extra supply sitting on the back burner just waiting to be used. I spend the time to do them as well. Especially if you can find a legit hourly job online that's very helpful too. I actually started saving loose change I find lying around because someday it'll all add up and I can use it!

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Finding a legit job online is something that it seems that a lot of people are turning to these days in order to get some extra money.

This is definitely a good way of supplementing a full time wage, it's just finding one that's right for you that can be the problem.

10. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I am on the computer every day anyway so why not make a few extra cents while there? I do the odd task here and there online. You will never get rich off it but it does pay my internet bill at the end of the month. So it is like I am online for few. I enjoy it. It is a good past time and it helps past the time. I have a pretty boring social life so I am always trying to find something to do to keep me busy.