Personal renting out of a condo unit

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Corzhens, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

It is not rare for condo owners here to rent out their condo unit for a short period of a month or 2. No agent involved, just a personal transaction that arises from the advertisement in the social media. One case was a guy from the US who came here for a seminar. On the very first day in the condo that he rented, there was an explosion and he was injured that led to his death after 10 days in the hospital. Now, the question is this - who is responsible for the death of the guy?

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I would think it would depend upon on who or what caused the explosion, but I would think the laws in the Philippines would differ from the USA. If the explosion was blamed on real property, the owner should be on the hook. Yes?

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah depends on your laws... and even more than that it depends on why the explosion happened.
    Also these things get complicated on short term rentals through social media. It's messy when there is no or very little paperwork. AirBNB is a good thing for renting it out, sure they take a fee (so the tenant pays more than he would directly to you) but your apartment is insured, the paperwork is in place etc.

4. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Good question on that one. It is usually good to take out some kind of liability insurance if you have someone living on your property just in the event somehting like that happens. I mean the guy has died, so the property owner is unlikely to be sued...unless the family members want to try to claim some kind of compensation for the loss.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

As per the investigation and the closure of the case, the explosion was caused by a leak in the gas pipe (the LPG supply is centralized for the entire building). As per the law, the building owner hs to indemnify the victims. Would you believe that when the condo exploded, a chunk of concrete was thrown on the road below that landed on a van that was on a traffic stop eventually killing 3 occupants. It's really sad that such accidents could happen when it can be avoided if the building planners were careful in their design.

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Was the blame assigned to (1) building design, (2) poor construction on the part of the LPG installers, (3) age or (4) lack of PM (preventive maintenance)? In any case, real property is involved. If 1 or 2, the owner may have recourse to recover damages fron the architect or builder. If the owner has a contract with a building maintenance to do PM, that may also be a way to recover losses. Curious minds...

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I am not privy to the details of the indemnity amount because the building owner is one of the largest real estate companies here. You know rumors, they say media is paid so as not to publicize everything. The total deaths were 4 - one is the condo tenant and 3 from the van that was hit by the slab of concrete. The damage is in millions. From my point of view, it is an architectural flaw in the first place and second is the maintenance.