Personal safety apps for the phone

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Oct 27, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news...phones-a-friend-focus-on-personal-safety.html

PSA. As a person whose daughter and wife watch out for me, and vice versa (especially when traveling), this article (arriving in my inbox) attracted my attention. It's the latest refresh to tracking apps for the Android and iOS phones. Whether it is tracking a child or a child tracking a parent or friends keeping tabs on each other, today's technology and apps make the process so easy there's little excuse not to take advantage of the capabilities should the need exists. HTH. YMMV.

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I've seen something similar being using which looks like some sort of smart watch but is just a GPS tracker within a wristband.

I think they are pretty good for people wanting to keep track of kids or someone vulnerable and thinking about it this system could be used with mental health patients.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I just think it's refreshing that people are making apps that can be useful as these days most app developers are concentrating on just making games.

There's definitely a gap in the market for apps that are focused more on safety, and even if they help to save one person then they will have made a big difference.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

With so many people going messing lately this is a great idea. There is so much more crime going on too. One can not be too safe. It is better to be safe. Do whatever it takes to keep your family safe. This is a wonderful app.

5. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I do agree that it is a great idea, but I can't help but think if it will really make that much of a difference if someone is kidnapped. They will have the phone or tracking device on them but it could so easily be taken off/destroyed and you're just left with the position they were last in. It might give a clue as to their whereabouts but not much.

That being said, I really would like this stuff to work to prevent stuff like abductions and kidnappings happening.