Pin numbers to be phased out

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Alex, Nov 21, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Wow, well I hope not. Since I spend so much time on the computer my fingerprints are worn down. Maybe no PIN number might work in a relatively small area like the UK, but I don't think the US would be able to implement that. We are just too vast with too many variables within the system. My thinkpad has fingerprint recognition but I have never tried to use it. I just sign in with a pword. This is something I am familiar with.

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Actually this is a good point. Whenever I get my prints checked at the US embassy or airport, if you have injured your finger or have a cut, then you have problems. For an embassy appointment you have to cancel it of any of your fingers have cuts on them. It can be flawed in so many ways and how safe will the finger prints be? We know hackers can get anything, so they could switch fingerprint details too.

As for the link, it does work. The Telegraph is a major broadsheet in the UK and one of the leading newspapers, and is not a tabloid. Sorry if people couldn't access it, but I don't control their website.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

The telegraph is a well known newspaper. The problem is, the link directs you to "mailto: [email protected]" and not to the telegraph website.
    I didn't actually click on it but this is what firefox tells me.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'd like to think that PIN numbers will not be overtaken by something else at all, and as I've said they are pretty reliable save for a few small cases of stupidity. I just have the mindset that "if something ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I'd prefer to pay cash for a few select things but I few that little bit more secure being able to pay card. Call me paranoid but I would not feel safe with a bundle of notes in my wallet.

5. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be more secure I don't think. And it is a major invasion of privacy. I don't see that working out.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I tend to agree with this. Though nowadays I do use my card quite a bit since it saves me from having my pocket full of useless coins, I still often check for cash before handing over my card. I don't know what it is exactly, guess I just got used to paying with cash back in the day.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Nissi, what are referring to? What woukdn't work out and be an invasion of privscy?

9. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Starting to see more retailers use the "chip" function in lieu of swiping and entering a PIN. You know, I've been meaning to start using more cash, come to think of it...

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

More places are encouraging contactless pay. I'm not comfortable with that, and I prefer cash and to have a receipt. I know some stores email the receipt to you instead of giving it to you as well these days.

The problem is, if you travel not all countries or regions will have this technology, and some places you still sign for your purchases when you pay with a card.