Pinterest Pinned With $5 Billion Valuation

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by PaulSchinider, May 16, 2014.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I guess Pinterest is moving on up in the stockholders market. Man $200 million more dollars that is really good for funds. So I think the $5 billion cash they racked is really going to make that CEO happy. I wonder if this means that the stock would go up?

2. mishka

mishka New Member

Seriously, where do they come up with these valuations? It's all based on hype. I mean come on, none of these companies are making anywhere close to that. You watch a TV show like Dragon's Den where they go on and on about people coming in there and overvaluating their companies. Yet all these tech giants are just running rampant with billion dollars valuations with nothing to show for it.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

For me I don't buy all that hype about Social Media companies being valued at ridiculous figures. Maybe they do make some money but nowhere near the figures quoted. Last year people who'd invested in twitter started pulling out because they realized things could change in future and that possibly they could lose their money. There's no guarantee that these sites will be as popular a decade from now so for me should there ever be a Pinterest IPO anytime soon, I'd be the last person to show any interest.

4. jondjacob

jondjacob Well-Known Member

The only thing I would possibly think that could assist in the valuation of Pinterest at so high a figure is the demographics of who uses their application - mostly women, and mostly between 20 and 45. That is a key demographic marketplace for advertisers to be a part of.

5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Yeah Pinterest seems to be doing fine they have a high amount of money in their portfolio. I think they are going to be neck at neck with Facebook. Social media companies seem to have a great advantage when it comes to stocks. I just wonder how much one stock cost for Pinterest?

6. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Well-Known Member

To me this seems kind of steep. I don't get why all of these social networks have such high valuations, few of them are profitable enough to justify this as a long term company and many of them don't have much more room to grow. And as we all saw with Myspace, major social network have the ability to just die out

7. Spowys

Spowys Member

Pinterest has really taken off. It sounds like a sound economic investment right now, but I'd be worried about the future of the platform. Social media is big money, but it also comes and goes in various waves. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pinterest fade away within a few years.

8. ReinbachThe3rd

ReinbachThe3rd Active Member

Horrible idea. All of these startup/social media hype machines are going to come crashing down in the next few years, do you really want to hold the bag on them? The newer social media companies barely know how to monetize what they have and the stocks are valued on a lot of hot air and potential I don't see coming through.

When Uber, a 'ride-sharing' (I use quotes there because anyone who's used Uber knows it's nonsense) is valued at triple of car companies that actually make tangible products, you know you have a bubble waiting to burst.

9. healthandfitness

healthandfitness Well-Known Member

As far as the social mediashpere, Pintrest is surely not the most popular. It does have a decent market share, but does not seem to have built the kind of steam that you have seen with FB, Twitter or even IG. I do not think that looking at Pintrest as a long-term investment is a good idea. This company is not as popular as you would like it to be considering that it has been around for a while. I would stay away...

10. troutski

troutski Guest

I don't understand the appeal of Pinterest and I don't use it, but I can name about 30 people I know who use it on a regular basis. I don't know if the valuation is even close to accurate, but I would consider investing in it.