Pinterest Pinned With $5 Billion Valuation

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by PaulSchinider, May 16, 2014.

1. bmarks

bmarks Member

I had no idea Pinterest was as big as it is until the other day, but I still think this Pinterest valuation is overpriced. Call it gut instinct. The company feels like it's still finding its footing and is on the brink of becoming a true power, but it hasn't happened yet. I'll be keeping a close eye on Pinterest.

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Pinterest is huge, once we get our business there is more advertisement than we can ever imagine! Not exactly Facebook, but $5 billion is a huge, huge number, and growing. ;)

3. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Pinterest is incredibly popular and unlike Twitter for example, it actually has ways of generating revenue so I'm not surprised it has a very high evaluation...
    Is 5 Billion the right value? I doubt it, it's very overpriced especially since I don't know whether it can grow more than it already has..

4. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I think that when it comes to numbers so high as that it's impossible to say if it's a high price or not, but it has opened it's way and I can see it grow more.

5. bmarks

bmarks Member

Good point. We're looking at incredibly large figures here, so what truly makes the difference between a $4 billion and a $5 billion or more valuation. What I am curious to see is how much this valuation promotes or hinders its growth.

6. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov Guest

How did Pinterest get so popular and big? I don't really even know what is so revolutionary or original about the website. Is there something I'm missing here?

7. idigress1337

idigress1337 Member

Good for them, but do you know what sucks? A company like them has few employees and raises billions of dollars. Meanwhile, companies employing thousands of people across the globe are going broke. Just goes to show the power of the information age in innovation.

8. troutski

troutski Guest

I'd put it more like the power of anything that resembles a Facebook like, which happens to be pinning someone else's Pinterest board to yours or whatever it is that happens. The company's obviously overpriced, but that doesn't mean you can't profit from it. Businesses use Pinterest all the time for marketing purposes, and even ordinary individuals can gain major exposure if they have a popular account. I'm not a fan of Pinterest, but I see the appeal for its users and people that browse others' boards.

9. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea Pinterest was worth that much. Interesting!

As an investment... I still don't know. I'm still skeptical of using social media for long term investment. I remember how popular MySpace used to be. And now, a whole generation is growing up not even knowing what MySpace is. And from what I understand Twitter shares has been tanking. Facebook is the only social media that seems to defy all odds. Despite its age, and all the mess-ups and privacy issues they've had, it still continues on. It's like it has put a spell over people.

10. RiderW

RiderW Member

Pinterest is really that big? Wow. I guess it's big with housewives and the like? Because that's the majority of people I see sharing it on my FB news feed.

The valuation does seem a bit...high, though. I don't think it's going to have the longevity of something like Facebook, myself. It seems to cater to one specific demographic more than others. I guess it remains to be seen, though.