Playing With Fire?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

You get burned.

Texas intends to hold a Mohammad art and cartoon contest. Considering the fact the Muslims revere Mohammad as one of their greatest religious leaders, respecting their beliefs and their prophet would go a long way towards peaceful co-existence.

Should extremists choose to respond in type after these contest who is to blame for it? The ones who provoke the response? The jihdists maybe? Much as Texans might feel relatively safe at home, let them not forget that Americans travel abroad and can be targeted by jihadists who seek vengeance.

Here's a link to the story:
    http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...f-stand-with-the-prophet-conference-in-texas/

2. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

I congratulate the US for exercising their right to free expression, something that we don't have in many European countries. I think that people should consider this the lesser of two evils.

3. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

To me it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. We all know what the publication of inflammatory material can cause yet it is our right to free speech. Whilst I understand that such art offends religious sensibiliites, the reactions to it are completely unacceptable.

I am a great believer in freedom of expression but sometimes it's better to say nothing.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I personally do not care to make fun of others' religious beliefs. I find it distasteful and immature.

I do however point out in a mature and serious manner any obvious problems any of those religions may have when it's necessary though.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I agree. There's no point in fanning the flames when you know the reaction such irresponsible action might draw. This provocation is merely meant to reinforce Islamophobia should extremists do anything stupid.
    I wish more people were like you, JR. We'd see less "honor" related crimes/murders/terrorist attacks.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I'm all for free speech and completely at 100% support people having the right to draw and release pictures of whoever and whatever they want. And the very last thing we should do is say "ok we won't do this" just because there are extremists who try to intimidate us into following their ways.

That being said, I do think this particular contest is a bit distasteful. I don't see the point.. it doesn't feel like it's about freedom of speech or art as much as it's about pissing off the muslims.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

With that said in my previous post, I want to be clear that immature idiots making fun of religions don't deserve to be assaulted or killed or even threatened with such.

I just find that it's bad manners to make fun of something so sacred to so many. And I'm not religious myself.

But that doesn't in any way justify these radical loons threatening and killing those who do make fun of their religions. Again there's a huge double standard - Christians, Jews, etc are not "protected" by the PC police, and those who make fun of them are not ostracized by the PC police like they would be if they were making fun of muslims.

8. ally79

ally79 Guest

I am all for free speech, but that is not the point of this "contest". The whole point of this is just to wave it in the face of Muslims that we "can" do this. I am sure there will be repercussions by extremists who show us what they "can" do as well.

9. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

There certainly will. If you are going to publish these pictures, you might as well sign your own death warrant. It's just inviting terrorism into your counrty really. Let's face it, nobody's daily lives will be inconvenienced by NOT publishing offensive cartoons, will they, so why bother?

10. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have the right to buy and American flag and Bible, crap on both of them, pour gasoline on them, and light them on fire. I then could take pictures of it and post it on facebook. That is my right. I also have the right to call people assholes and telling them to F off, that is my right.

Just because you have the right to do something, does not mean you should do it. In the past there was something called being responsible. The word responsible seems to have fallen out of fashion now days.