Pluto Flyby July 14 2015

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Jul 9, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

After wondering where the Science channel coverage was this morning, and nothing showing on the TV schedule for this evening, I explored further. Apparently there is a http://sci2.tv/#!/live/81 web page that just links to Ustream and NASA itself. Not good form. I'll just throw the NASA video up to the family room TV.

Live coverage on NASA is scheduled this evening 8:30-10 pm EDT.

Virtually all video platforms are supported between the Science channel, Ustream and NASA. I would expect the BBC World Service to include coverage in its newscasts atop each hour. Their science coverage is good, in my opinion. Looking forward to watching the coverage.

2. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I thought I had missed it. Thank God I didn't.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Fantastic! Next press conference Wednesday 3 pm EDT, with pictures that should have major resolution improvement over today's images. I just think back to living through Sputnik and watching the entire space race and program, and tour of the entire solar system. And think about how far the Voyagers have traveled. Giddyup.

4. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

This is wonderful! Where I live, these kind of things don't get promoted often, and I'm quite surprised to see that on this forum, haha. Technology is really advancing, guys. It doesn't sleep whatsoever. Great stuff! Thanks for posting.

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Now there is a big fuss about Pluto, like you've said it's not even considered a planet, but I feel we should indeed pay more attention to what's happening outside our planet, maybe we could discover life out there?

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While I'll admit that space and the surrounding planets are interesting, I think money could be better spent on more important issues at the moment.

NASA have already had their budget cut but they're still receiving billions of taxpayers dollars every year, and like I said, while what they find out is interesting, it's certainly not going to have any impact on my life.

7. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Today's press conference was quite interesting, too short though in my opinion. The first photos from today's download were striking. Undoubtedly the presser will be replayed on NASA TV this evening. The next press conference will be Friday 1 pm EDT, at NASA headquarters.

Re life on other planets, Mars probably offers the most likely possibility with microorganisms and the like. That discovery may have to wait until man steps onto the planet. Other than that, the long-running SETI may eventually find something... but I am not holding my breath. The distances between systems and the laws of physics preclude immediate gratification.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

For the near future, New Horizons press conferences will drop back to a weekly schedule. The next one is scheduled for July 24. Slow-speed data sets are now being downloaded. If you're interested in following developments, grab the NASA app for your phone or tablet. That includes access to NASA TV. I find the app and following a few NASA Twitter accounts are the easiest ways to stay informed without the hassle of dealing a laptop or a desktop computer. Enjoy. HTH.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well chances of life on pluto are pretty much zero. It's just way too damn cold and doesn't get enough sunlight for life as we understand it to exist.
    Lots of other good possibilities in our solar system though.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I am also a traditionalist that's why I still consider Pluto to be a planet. But I don't give it much thought because of its unimaginable distance. What do we get from the data about Pluto? Practically nothing since anything about that distant planet is irrelevant to u s. What I am more interested in is Mars or maybe Venus. At least those nearby planets have the potential to be visited with manned space capsules. And I am hoping that with the emergence of space tour, people can go to planets on a leisurely trip. And that is Mars.

Tags: