Political Correctness Getting Ridiculous — Agree?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, May 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

As things stand today, you can't even call a spade a spade without repercussions. And the latest of all this nonsense?

Well, a Duke professor made a post online and was harshly criticized for writing such an "offensive" post and labeled a racist.
    http://news.yahoo.com/duke-professor-defends-comments-comparing-blacks-asians-171424956.html
    Were his sentiments racist as some people have claimed or are people, thanks to all the madness about PC starting to take things a little bit too far?

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

This is one of my big issues. Yes, everything has become politically correct and it's becoming stifling for society. It shuts down debate and closes the spectrum down for what is acceptable though. We're supposed to live in a free society where you are free to think and speak how you feel. That's not the case anymore. If you say or write the wrong things, you will be ostracized by certain segments of society. Even fairly benign statements have landed people in hot water, and gotten them fired. It's not healthy at all.

3. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Totally ridiculous. There are things way more important we should worry about, serious issues like way, crime, hunger, corruption, but instead we prefer to debate this?

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

When it's a white male saying anything about anyone else, all hell breaks loose. Even if the comments are made in a very civilized manner, and are backed up by actual facts and statistics. He'll lose his job, become a leper, etc. And minorities who have conservative viewpoints are also ostracized and vilified.

But when it's a minority saying something about whites, males, white males, police, conservatives / Republicans, etc - even in the absence of facts and stats - it's ok to most people, and such a person never suffers any real consequences.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/22369/

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Exactly what JR said. I am completely fed up with this political correctness BS, but I am also fed up with double standards. I have NEVER seen a huge news story about a black/asian/anything else making a comment about white people. Never seen a "black police officer shoots white man" but certainly saw a lot of "white police officer shoots black man" headlines.

Political correctness has been taken way out of line years ago.

6. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous. Studies have been suggesting the same thing for years now - I remember learning about this back in the late 90s at college and we discussed whether there where any factors which it could be attributed to. It's a shame that something that could possibly be true cannot be investigated - especially when society could benefit.

7. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

That is the whole purpose of political correctness. It is a way to have censorship but to put it in a nice fuzzy wrapper so it is easier for people to swallow. The only difference is in China and Russia they tell you straight out you are not allowed to say these things. In the modern western world they claim to have freedom of speech. But if you exercise this freedom of speech usually you lose your job, and in some cases even end up in jail. I guess the only part they are missing is in China they out and out kill you.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Interesting way to see it. I can't say that I agree with you 100% but I do see where you are coming from. Thing is, political correctness isn't really censoring anything that is being said about the leaders and the government, which is often the case in China & Russia.

9. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

That's the problem right there, you can't express yourself, use an example of something before someone out there points a finger at 'thee'... its walking on egg shells literally with no sympathy or apologies... its that bad!

10. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

Actually, Asians are still looked upon with extreme prejudice, at least here in East Tennessee. I taught ESL in South Korea, and had to deal with horrible insults simply for traveling there. Of course, you could just call the people haters, but it's definitely mixed in with massive racial prejudice. Therefore, I conclude Asians, at least in my home area, excel in the face of massive prejudice compareable to what blacks experience. They are also worked like slaves in Chinese restaurants, and many aren't given good tips. It's not surprising a lot of them hate ordinary Americans.