Political promises

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Mar 28, 2015.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

It would be nice to have better schools in this country but unfortunately I don't think there's an easy fix. It's a problem we as citizens talk about all the time, and politicians like to say they're concerned about it as well. But why haven't they been improved? I think the main problem with our schools is a lack of parental involvement. A lot of kids simply have parents that don't care and who aren't involved. That really hurts student achievement. Of course, there are certainly schools that are in bad areas and who don't receive nearly enough resources to be effective.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this!

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I guess the old adage is true then; "No matter what you do or say, you can't please everyone!"... so to be promised something, i think not, let him do his work...a friend once told me; "A promise is a comfort to a fool!"

4. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

That would be a very long list if I am to think of the promises these politicians made and broke. I think they only fulfill 10% of their promises, 90% are made to be broken. That's in my own point of view. Anyway, one thing I always hear in every campaign period is the promise to end corruption. It's the most classical promise of them all, and the most broken too.

5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I remember this line from Senior, "no new taxes". You remember that one? On the political trail these guys will say whatever they can to get your vote. If you want peace on earth they will promise it. If you want health care reform they will promise it. But will it ever happen? Probably not.

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Hospital wait times would be an important improvement and I guess you get what you pay for. I imagine the same would hold true in America if Healthcare were free for all. I am lucky to live near a hospital that gets you in and out quickly should you ever need to go to the emergency room. I have never had to have surgery, so I am unclear how quickly those are scheduled.

7. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Our current president promised us that he would do everything in his power to reduce parliamentarian numbers, as there are too many, and all they do is leech public money which could be put at better use.
    What do you think happened? That's right... nothing.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Politicians in every country are basically all the same. That's why it's important that we utilize the Constitution here in the United States in order to keep the damage that they can do to a minimum. I think it may be time to have a convention of the states so that we can institute things such as term limits, balanced budget, spending caps, etc. Because obviously the people we elect aren't interested in lessening the power they have over us.

9. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

To be fair, the president can't just wave his magic wand and get bills passed. He needs support from Congress and such, which he clearly doesn't really have.