Pope Says Workers Have "Human Right" To Refuse Same Sex Marriages Licenses.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Sep 30, 2015.

1. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

The pope is right. You cannot just force something down someone throat regardless of his/her conscious beliefs. People have to understand that humanity will always be diverse and there will be a day when everybody will agree on the same thing.

2. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree with these statements. If you are paid to do a job then you should do it.
    If it is not something you want to do then you should quit and give the job to somebody
    who will do that job that they are getting paid for!!

I don't have a choice of what I don't want to do at my job. If I refused to do what I was
    getting paid to do I would be without a job.

3. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

The same sex marriage has confused many people in the world. That should not stop them from living their own life however. If someone does not agree with the law then that is totally fine but they still must respect those who agree with it.

4. FrankieD

FrankieD Well-Known Member

Refusing to issue licenses to same sex couples is the rough equivalent of refusing to issue licenses to interracial couples. So the Pope is wrong on this. Despite homosexuality and race being two very different things, from a bird's eye point of view they almost aren't. Both battle needless discrimination and ignorance, both battle the same basic stronghold locations, and both often use religion to support their positions. Refusing to issue a marriage license because of your religion is unacceptable. The general public is not supposed to take into account your interpretation of old text, the religion you happen to currently be subscribing to, or your personal feelings about how much you don't like it and why. The People have already spoken through their legislatures, where Governmental already acknowledges through its laws that discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation is wrong, morally and on principle. Since Government bestows hundreds of tax-funded benefits to married people, some of that from gay tax dollars, it would obviously be wrong to deny those benefits to gay couples. So since the Government is in the marriage licensing business, your particular feelings about what some cosmic overlord may want done about the marriage of the gay people he created, doesn't apply. Keep your religion private and stop working to unnecessarily keep a portion of your Country as second class. You should be fighting for the opposite: give as many people as possible first class status if it is reasonable to do so and no harm is coming to the freedom or safety of others by doing it. All other standards would likely be ... dare I say it ... unpatriotic.

5. In the running

In the running Well-Known Member

He may be right, but the person in question also has the human right to get a job that conforms more to their religious beliefs.

In addition, by her practicing her religious rights, 2 other people are denied their personal rights by not having their wedding ceremony legalized by that county clerk. Why is the county clerks rights more important than the rights of the people who wish to live in a marriage that has been deemed legal in the county in which this all happened?