Possibility Of Making $600 In Stock Market?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by MarcusTwinkie, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MarcusTwinkie

MarcusTwinkie New Member

Some dude is claiming he made that much in stock market. I kind of call it bullshit honestly. Considering that there are stocks that are worth over $1,000. Well, these are what I looked at, but I guess that there is stocks that are worth less than $1,000. I do not have much knowledge in this, so if there is anyone who could give me some, I would really appreciate it.

I guess that you can buy a whole stock itself. I am really not sure how it works, so some decent explanation is greatly appreciated.

I know you can buy shares worth $100. How could he possibly go from apparent $4,000 into losing all that and somehow making barely these few hundred dollars. He apparently had those $4,000 already before he started trading. He's also an 18 year old fella, so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make any sense.

Maybe it's my rusty brain since I didn't do trading for a long time.

Also, what amount of money would you recommend me to start investing in stock market?
    Is it recommended to first start with Forex trading aka currency trading before stock trading?
    Is it possible to make a couple of hundred dollars specifically in stock market? Talking about $600.

Thank you to everyone for their responses, it's greatly appreciated.

2. MikiStocks

MikiStocks Member

Hello Marcus and welcome to the forum,
    I am also quite a new member here but would happily share my sum of knowledge.

Using a broker you can trader with what is called a "leverage". This lets your buy more stocks than you can economically afford.
    Saying you have an account of 5,000$ and you buy 500 pieces of "SHOP" stock which let's say is 110$.
    Obviously, their worth is 500x110= 55,000$. 11 Times of your whole account.
    If your broker lets you have this much of a leverage it's possible for you to acquire that many stocks for a period of time(or should I say "price"). I will not elaborate too much about how this works but will continue to the subject of profit.

If this stock moved 2$ up, 112$ of worth per se, your possession is now 112$ x 500 = 56,000$ , meaning you earned 1,000$ after liquidating the stocks back to money, taking some commission off of course.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I have on occasion made a triple digit return on a stock literally within a day or 2 of buying a stock. But such positions have been in smaller, more volatile securities - which as a rule are bought very lightly in my portfolio. I am highly diversified.

Most of my time, money, energy, and gains have come from investing in quality investments over time. I will occasionally see a gain of thousands in a particular security overnight that I have many thousands, tens of thousands, or more invested in.

Rather than thinking in terms of absolute dollars, think in terms of percentages. And be sure to invest as much $ as you can as often as you can. Try to reasonably minimize taxes and transaction costs and think longterm.

If you can put $100 a week into your tax-advantaged IRA investment account, and are able to make say 10% per year over time, you could accumulate a couple of million over the next 40 years.

4. Chartman

Chartman Senior Investor

Be careful when using leverage - it might just take one bad investment to wipe you out!