Possiblility of Ebola Spreading

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Aug 5, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

The Ebola virus has already claimed over 700 lives in countries located in West Africa. There have been endless news reports of fear that Ebola will spread to other countries. Africa is a continent rich in natural resources and tourist attractions. The visitation of foreigners to certain countries in West Africa can lead to them contracting the virulent disease and returning to their homes unknowingly sick. Ebola can be transmitted upon contact with a sick person or animal. It is estimated that symptoms appear between 2 to 4 days, that’s enough time to leave a country before recognizing the sickness. I feel governments are taking careful precaution with this illness. I am not going to buy into the sensationalist news reports of Ebola spreading around the world. This is playing into a fear and almost making a mockery out of a serious issue. I feel news media can do better. What are your thoughts?

2. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I don't even want to dwell on the reality/facts that this is indeed happening, i just wish someone would say its a dream, on the other hand, even if borders of countries were tightened are we really sure, someone might pass through unnoticed, with the disease causing through but looking healthy outwardly?...just my major worry. Another thing, can this epidemic be contained, or we are staring down a barrel of a huge disaster with no end in sight?

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

4. conovy

conovy Member

Right now Ebola can only spread through contact with bodily fluids, and the main reason it's spreading so fast in West Africa is because they have such bad hygiene. Of course it does start to rot your organs and that bleeds a lot, but by then a person in the west would probably be isolated. Unless it goes airborne there's not much need to be concerned. Swine Flu was more dangerous than this.

5. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

Like conovy said, ebola is spread through bodily fluids, so we don't have to obsess over it yet. I'd say, just make more of an effort to keep clean and sanitary. This is something we all should be doing already anyway because of all the STDs, bacteria, and viruses that are creeping up in the West.

Anyway you look at it, you should have already started being more careful, even when it comes to food. We have to now make sure fresh veggies and fruits are properly washed before eating them. This level of cleanliness was unnecessary during our great-grandparents' time.

6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Well I thought it was under control, other times when there is an Ebola outbreak,I have never heard of it spread as much as it is spreading this time, it is very scary.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

TKMR is up BIG today - up a good 40% from yesterday. They're said to be closer to FDA approval. I sold half today. I'm gonna gamble with the other 100 shares on it blowing up even more if it gets approved - it's supposed to be getting "fast tracked".

8. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Yes, I think it is possible for Ebola to be spread further if infected persons do not put the welfare of others first. Anyone with symptoms should report to the nearest health facility. Some cruel people would spread the disease as much as possible. Their reasoning is that it is better to spread the disease so that they do not die alone.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Ebola is through bodily fluids so like with STD's. I would not want share a needle with a person who has Ebola which you shouldn't LOL. Cruel people would not want folks of a lower status to receive help.

10. ormaybeso

ormaybeso Well-Known Member

I don't really think it's going anywhere, especially with the recent quarantining of entire cities. The health and sanitation systems here are much more advanced than the ones in most of Africa, so the odds of it becoming any sort of problem here are low.