Possiblility of Ebola Spreading

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen, I am just saying that this is starting to look like a medieval plague.

2. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I think that it is crucial that we all work together for this terrifying disease to bite the dust. I think that most people who get the disease panic and hide instead of obtaining medical care. There was a time malaria was considered a deadly disease, it is almost unheard of today. There is always hope, we take one day at a time.

3. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I've heard that thousands of new cases will appear in the next months, I sincerely hope that it was a false rumor...

4. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

Where have you heard that Peninha? Being true those would be scary news, I was hoping that this was about to be controlled.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

This stuff is getting quite scary.

6. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08 Guest

I think that Ebola will be under control eventually and a cure for it. I understand why people are scared about this virus spreading throughout the US because to be honest you never know who has traveled to West Africa and who has not. People all over the world travel.

7. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I hope you're right Lucky, but so far Ebola has been spreading, not yet in an alarming way, but it's something that is not stopping, more and more people are concerned.

8. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

Don't buy into the media hype. Not one single American bystander has contracted the virus in the United States. The three people currently being treated for Ebola were health care workers in direct contact with patients that already had Ebola. The person in Texas who died was in West Africa. None of his neighbors or any other bystanders contracted the virus. That's four people. Four out of 318 million in the United States. That's an incidence of 0.00000013%.

You cannot spread Ebola unless you are symptomatic. The three people currently being treated for Ebola were immediately put into isolation as soon as they became symptomatic.

Were you in West Africa?
    Were you in contact with the bodily fluids of someone who tested positive for the Ebola virus?

If you answered "No" then you do not have Ebola. SARS had a much bigger potential to be spread as it was an airborne contagion and that really did not have a high incidence in the United States. Focus on the facts, not fear.

[​IMG]

9. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

While it's true that virus mutate, there has never been a documented case of ANY virus changing it's mode of transmission. Even if it were to happen, going from bloodborne to airborne is an uphill effort. Going from airborne to bloodborne would be more likely to happen. Ebola affects the blood vessels, not the respiratory system.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-the-ebola-virus-will-go-airborne/

In order for a virus to mutate there must be some sort of danger to it so it can survive from an evolutionary standpoint. There is no cure so there is no reason for the virus to mutate. It continues to live on through its hosts with no need for to create a genetic resistance.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

It would be pretty horrific for Ebola to go from a bloodbourne virus to one that is transmitted through the air, experts seem to agree that it is not very likely. If Ebola were airborne a lot of the hysteria and fear associated with it would definitely be logical as if it were transmitted in the same way the flu is we would likely have an epidemic here, resulting in thousands of deaths.