Preparation Against Natural Disasters

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Jul 25, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

Can people ever prepare themselves against a Typhoon? I have read about this occurrence in the Philippines and parts of China over the past week. It got me wondering about preparation against nature's forces. Nature is so powerful and we cannot imagine what it can do. This question is partially related to God’s will. And significantly, how much do we know about Tyhoon? It is possible that a more violent situation is waiting for us? What are your opinions?

2. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I think the only way to prepare for a typhoon hit is probably getting to high ground, and evacuating when told to evacuate. I think it's easier with something like a typhoon (or hurricane) because you know it's coming and can take the proper steps to be safe.

On the other hand, things like tornadoes and earthquakes give no warning. (Well yes, a little warning for tornadoes, but not hours or days ahead like with hurricanes.)

I also think that the worst thing to do in any natural disaster scenario is to take the attitude of "oh, it was never bad before so it won't be bad this time either." Or "hurricane hits never bothered my house before, I'm staying here and riding it out."

3. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

I think that preparation is never too much, but a natural disaster can sweep us of our feet before we can put into practice any sort of knowledge we might have. Having this said, if we do survive all the preparation we might have can save our life.

4. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

This sort of thing is sort tricky to be prepared for, nature is an incredible force and very unexpected.
    I don't think no matter how much you think you are ready you can really be.
    Whenever you see the images of an area devastated by a typhoon, earthquake, tsunami, etc, you never see a guy going "I'm fine, I was ready for this".

5. zuulspaceman

zuulspaceman Member

I'd say to prepare for a natural disaster, just move somewhere that it's less likely to happen. I lived in Kansas most of my life and tornadoes ripped through the town all the time and there's NO way to prepare for that besides taking shelter in a basement or something, but it will rip anything to shreds besides that. Now I live in a more mild part of the country and don't have to worry about buying a home here because nothing too bad ever happens here. That's not to say I'm immune to disasters, but they're far less likely.

6. Toasty95

Toasty95 Member

The best preparation for disasters is to avoid where disasters normally occur. That is the best option. Mother Nature doesn't care who is prepared and who isn't. She effects everyone equally.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I was on the business end of a rather nasty hurricane in '05, and also went through a couple other milder ones over the next few years.

All you really can do is pack up necessities and get far away for at least a few days. And expect life to be a little more difficult in the area for weeks or even months after.

8. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Don't mind me. :D Apparently I was off in la-la land somewhere yesterday when I answered this... read the word "typhoon" but my brain saw "tsunami." Well stop laughing, they both start with a t! :rolleyes: hehe

9. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

As much as science is advanced, there is no way we can predict the weather, but we can just build emergency centres for this kind of disasters.

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Preparing for a disaster is always something that is stressful for most. I cannot prepare myself one bit since I don't have a good plan of escape nor a vehicle to use. Disasters are just something that you can try to prepare for but it's always going to be devastating.