Pro life or pro choice?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gmckee1985, Sep 23, 2014.

?

?

1. pro life

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. pro choice

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't the woman should be able to determine whether another living person lives or dies. I don't think it's fair to take that decision away from someone. To me, it's on equal footing as abortion. It's just morally reprehensible, in my view. I don't think people who support abortion rights are bad people they are just people who hold a very misguided view, in my opinion. I think there's certainly room for disagreement on the issue and the laws are best decided at the state level.

2. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Think this is pretty well in line with my thoughts as well with the addition that abortions should not be able to happen past the first trimester except in cases of danger to mother.

On a side note, I've always found it a bit strange that the women's rights and "pro-choice" movement is founded on abortion. I can think of plenty of other issues that should be the focal point of the women's rights movements. Emma Watson's recent speech comes to mind of what the women's rights movement should be about. And I'm fairly certain she didn't mention pro-choice once.

3. gmckee1985

I agree with you Jamaal. It's odd that women's rights activist seem to focus on this issue so much. Abortion should be discouraged, not celebrated in my opinion. I think there's plenty of other issues leaders in the feminist movement could feature more prominently.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Abortion should be the woman's choice. The woman could have many reasons for wanting to have an abortion and whatever choice she makes no one should choose for her. You never know what they'll do with the baby once it's born. There was one woman, I heard who murdered her son because she was saving him from "a life of horror." Such stuff could be avoided if the mother just had an abortion.

5. gmckee1985

I don't think you can remove the moral aspect from abortion, though. Saying that someone should be able to murder their child just because they may not be able to take of it financially and mentally removes responsibility from all involved. If a woman feels she's not ready for a child, there is also adoption, as well as therapy and other classes she can take advantage of. Abortion should be discouraged, at the very least.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

What of when the woman is raped? Should she keep the fruit of what reminds her was a crime committed against her? Some women decide to raise such children but what if they're not emotionally prepared for that? As for adoption, not every child that's abandoned by the parent gets adopted. Living and growing up in an orphanage can be very stressful for the kids. So since such mothers who won't be able to raise their kids because they don't have the money may opt to terminate the life of their unborn baby to spare them [the kids] all the misery.

7. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

What about in cases of rape?
    Not considering how accidents happen, condoms rupture, pills don't work, etc, there is always the rape factor, would that be the only justifiable situation for abortion, or not even then?

8. gmckee1985

I'm morally opposed to abortion in all instances. Even though carrying your rapists' baby would be horrific, I think the mother can get through with it with a lot of help and therapy. Though politically, I think you carve out an exception to allow for abortions for rape victims and those who engage in incest. Other than that though, I am opposed in all cases.

9. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Sure that we have the choice, but a choice that takes someone's life is it really their choice or ours?

10. No one is ever going to say, "Abortions are great! I want one!" Everyone knows there is something troubling when it comes to abortion. However, the arguments against abortion are usually based on religion. And if that is the basis for the argument, then someone else's beliefs would be impeding upon my own. Another issue I have is that a living cockroach is fully developed in its form, and a fertilized zygote is not. Therefore, killing a roach would be closer to murder than an abortion. In my opinion, other people should stay out of my reproductive organs, as I will refrain from theirs.

My views may be slightly skewed, however. When I was in third grade, a nun showed our class of an internal view of an abortion and took us to protest rallies, unbeknownst to my mother. The movie scarred me for life, and the whole situation leaves me with the questions of: What are the unborn more important that then children we already have here? If life is so important to these Pro-Lifers, then why are there so many unwanted children in foster care? Why are so many children abused and molested on a daily basis? Further more, if all life is important, than how can the same people who are against abortion be for the death penalty?

I was in school when Dan Quayle was being interviewed as he ran for Vice President. He was staunchly against abortion, then when the commentator asked, "What if your daughter was in a situation where she was raped?" Quayle immediately responded, "It's her body, I have no right to tell her what to do with it." That stuck in my head. So it seems that pro-life supporters are only pro-life when it come to other people. Just my observation.