Psychic and Christian?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Nov 4, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think being a psychic is an ability that some people have and others don't. I would look at it as a gift. I presume God has given the gift so why it was said to be from the devil I have no idea. It is one of the many things that you can benefit from. I think people vary in their psychic ability but I also think it is an ability that can be cultivated. I see nothing "evil" about it.

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

This is a fine line between accepting that prophets existed in the biblical times, so why can't they now? It's the old idea back in the days of witch trials that assumed anything that could not be explained must be at the devil's hand. I really thought society had progressed by now. Just because someone doesn't have the ability doesn't mean it cannot exist.

3. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

The idea of spirituality, souls, the afterlife and ghosts can exist both in a psychic and Christian context. I know certain nuns, priests and those working in the mission who believe in ghosts and some have seen them themselves. Being able to communicate with those in the afterlife is not something you should be scared of since these people are our loved ones as well. The idea of malevolent spirits are those violent types when they were alive and seem only to haunt those they personally know. Also, the Catholic Church has files on files on exorcism and the like so it's say to say that they also believe in spirits.

4. jfrack

jfrack Guest

This is interesting. I never considered psychic abilities, and do not know why these would be considered evil if in fact they could communicate with the dead. In fact you could learn useful information by doing so. I can see how it could be used poorly but to make it out to be a gift from the devil sounds pretty extreme.

5. GiveMeStrength

GiveMeStrength Member

Ever heard of prophecy? What you're suggesting is that the biblical prophets were evil...

6. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

It's either you have one or the other. Psychic and religion do not mix.

7. nytegeek

nytegeek Well-Known Member

Could you please start linking references or citing sources for this stuff instead of just shooting it out and posting it full of unqualified statements? I don't know if you really believe this stuff and don't realize that you look questionable posting unsubstantiated comments, or if you know that it is stuff that can't be backed up and you just want to stir people up.

8. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

The two titles aren't synonymous. Although in the Bible people had the ability to see things that were revealed to them by God that did not dictate them as being psychics. They didn't come about those visions on their on volition.

9. GiveMeStrength

GiveMeStrength Member

That's more like it!!! They're seeing something from the future. Just the concept alone suggests you can be both at the same time, yet it is as if impossible to some, because that's supposedly "evil".

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Do you read books about the afterlife, psychics and the like? Books written by mediums? I doubt it but if you do then you may have heard of a medium/writer called Anthony Borgia. Go read his books and you'll have the answers you seek.