Purchasing items on eBay

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

How often do you make purchases on eBay and what kind of things do you get? I have never been much of an eBay shopper, but recently got some serve ware that I was pleased with and got a good deal to boot. The only thing that kind of turns me off are the shipping costs. I still do not trust buying designer labels and jewelry on the site.

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I usually buy old video games in big lots. They are dirt cheap and I know I can get the roms and play them on my computer, but I just like to have the hard copy. It's a nice thing to have.

3. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

The days of big bargains on Ebay are pretty much over and there are a lot of listings for counterfeit products. The only really good buys I get now are when I search for "non-expert" vocab and find listings by people who do not really know the value of what they are selling.

It is easy to get carried away and over pay so I always choose and write down a top price for an item and never go over it.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Being that we live in a rural area, I buy supplies from eBay pretty much every month. The vast majority of the times, it is a pretty smooth process. I've run into a few problem sellers over the years, but they are in the single digit.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I've had an eBay account since it very first started and I have to admit, I think I've bought 1 thing off there, years ago.

While I know there's a lot of bargains on there and if your into selling, there's probably a lot of profit to be made aswell,, but for me it's just too much hassle.

Placing a bid, getting outbid, then losing then being offered the item anyway because the person who out bid you changed their mind, or was only there to increase the price of the item in the first place, is all too much messing about for me.

Give me Amazon any day of the week...

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I typically do not get myself involved in bidding wars on eBay because you can get wrapped up in the competition of it and end up paying much more than the item is actually worth. If I get outbid I usually just shrug my shoulders and sum it up to the fact that I was not meant to have that item. I do have to agree that eBay is not what it once was.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I've always viewed amazon as better for buyers and e-bay better for sellers. I've often bought small things like books, CD's, DVD's, etc for like a dollar or less in many cases.

8. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I have purchased quite a few items from eBay and have always been pleased with any of the products I purchased. I only buy items from my country and I also search items that have free shipping. I, also, like Amazon. There are a lot of great deals on there.

9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I've purchased something from there just a couple of times, the first time was a phone that I still have and the other one was a jacket. E-bay its a good option but I prefer buying from Etsy or Aliexpress, in my opinion there are more interesting products there than on e-bay.

10. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

I have found it a good place to sell things I would otherwise throw away. I don't get rich but it's better than selling at a garage sale.