Putting up your property for sale

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Corzhens, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

There are many ways to sell your real estate property. Let's take a residential house for example, it can be advertised in the local newspaper or posted in social media. You can also post your ad in the proper forums and websites. That's the first step - to declare your intent to sell and publicizing that intent in media. But before doing that, you have to be prepared with the details of the property like size of the lot, floor area of the house, age and make of the house and some other details that would be asked by potential buyers. And do not forget the asking price.

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I'd prefer to have a real estate agent handle the selling or buying of property. They have more connections, know the market well and have a firm grasp of the "legal stuff" that would complicate the entire process if you are not familiar with it. But of course if you don't want to pay the realtors any commissions you'd have to sell the property yourself. The risks involved though [and potential losses you might make] are not worth the money you might save.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I'd also prefer to let an agent deal with a property sale. While it's tempting to cut the costs, at the end if the day you will get a smoother process and more importantly a better price for your property if is handled by the experts.

I've sold 4 properties, 1 I've handled myself and I have to say it's something I won't want to do again.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

If you have no time to spare or you want yourself be spared from the stress of handling real estate transactiolns then I guess the agent of broker is your only recourse. However, when you have time and you want to save money on commissions, you can handle the selling of your property but you have to arm yourself with enough knowledge on how to go about it. If in case the buyer is well versed, you might be shortchanged with the taxes. There was an instance when the buyer offered to buy a property at net price. The seller agreed not knowing that the cost of transfer entails hard work and taxes too.

5. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

You might be able to handle the sale portion all by yourself but here in the state of New York you will need a lawyer to do the legal transfer of the deed. And even if it is a cash deal you will no doubt need at the very least an accountant to help you with some of the tax implications of the sale. The other thing to be aware of is that your buyer might have an agent and you can be sure that if that is the case they will want a percentage of the totality of the transaction, as nice as it is to say that they (the buyer) will have to pay that, at the end of the day when that transfer happens it can come out of the sellers portion since all the fees seem to be taken right out of the top at the closing.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

When we were prospecting this house that we are living in, the owner had offered it for 3 million pesos. After some months, the asking price was lowered due to lack of prospective buyers. When we chanced upon the poster in the village gate, it was pegged at 2 million. But since the owner has been staying in a distant province (10 hours trip from the real estate being sold), they agreed to our offer of 1.6 million.

On the part of the seller, that's a big loss but they couldn't help it because they couldn't attend to their property. Truly, we got a bargain on that.

7. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

In the past when buying and selling real estate I always preferred to do it through a Real.Estate Agent. I felt more confident knowing that every thing was dond correctly and all necessary procedures were followed. It was well with it for me.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Before you hire a real estate agent, hire your family attorney and/or a recommended attorney who specializes in real estate law. Contracts go sideways, leins magically appear out of thin air, convenents are buried in ancient history, and ghosts come out of the woodwork. But that's me... when it comes to big money, I don't trust very many people. YMMV.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Selling a house here normally does not involve a broker to save on expenses. Brokers are hired only when the property for sale is valued highly. For middle class sellers, a few tens of thousands matter a lot. When my father in law sold the ancestral home, getting an agent was voted down by the children because the commission would lessen the dividend of the children as heirs. And without the help of a broker, it took more than a year before the sale was consummated.

10. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Corzhens, obviously I have no knowledge of the real estate processes in your country. Sorry, didn't mean to offend or speak to your specific circumstances. My comments just reflected my thoughts on dealing with real estate transactions in the litigous USA.