Question?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by dianethare, Aug 13, 2015.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I met this guy, two months ago and I want to buy him a watch for his birthday 2 months from today...is this a wise thing to do or its awkward?..am not so good when it comes to reading guys...any advice in this regard will be appreciated.

Kindly note; I just want to buy him a gift for his birthday {surprise gift}...no hidden agendas or strings attached...{is it wise, considering I've known him for a short while}

2. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Go give him that watch who's stopping you right? The thing is you can give him anything for his birthday but something equal to the value of being two months together. For me an expensive watch is a no-no but a cheap watch is ok for a two month relationship. LOL. But seriously though. What did he give you on your birthday? Did he give you anything when you guys were together?

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Its really hard to say for sure. Some people build personal connections faster than others. So without knowing your specific situation its hard to say. I'd probably just go with my gut if I were you. If youre really into this person and think they feel the same way I'd go ahead and get it for them.

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

As long as it is not an expensive watch, I say go for it. I love buying people presents and this is a great way to show him you care even if it is not a romantic friendship. I am sure he would appreciate you thinking of him on his special day.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There's nothing wrong with buying someone you like any gift. Friends buy each other gifts all the time because they are FRIENDS. So no, it certainly isn't awkward. At least I don't think it is. He'll appreciate it [the gesture], I'm sure.

6. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

depends on what kind of watch you are planning to get. Two months in a relationship you probably should not go all out crazy yet, especially if you really like the guy and want a closer relationship. To expensive of a gift will either make him uncomfortable if he is a decent sort, or suck him in big time if he is a not so nice person with a ulterior motive. My rule of thumb in a relationship is to be conservative in the beginning. Do people even wear watches anymore?

Friendship is one of those things that is hard. In the beginning it all feels so wonderful and exciting, but in reality you really do not know people very well in just a few months. Gestures are important then, as is staying in the realm of what would be considered appropriate for the situation. there was a time when a piece of jewelry like a watch might have been considered to personal after just a few months, I don't think that's the case anymore . A smart utility type everyday watch might be fine, no Rolex's or anything like that.

7. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

If you guys don't have a awkward relationship go for it. If this relationship is awkward then I advice you to wait a couple more months.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Honestly, I don't think there is a person in the world who would get mad at someone for giving them a watch, especially when it seems like it is completely unprovoked.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I'd probably prefer a gift certificate for a certain amount from a nice store. That way, I could buy whichever watch I'd like, or perhaps some nice clothes or whatever.

If a woman I'd been seeing for a short period of time bought me a watch that I didn't care for, it would create a problem - if I decided not to wear it because I didn't care for it, it would hurt her feelings. Or if I wore it around her even though I didn't like it in order to spare her feelings, it would cause resentment on my end.

Of course if you buy him a watch that he's already told you he does in fact like, this won't be an issue.

10. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Thanks @JR Ewing for the input, that's what my analytical mind keeps on beeping, what if, I give him something and he doesn't appreciate?, Thank you, for that gift certificate idea, It will work :)