Rand Paul We must demilitarize the police

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Casper, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

[​IMG]

2. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

Threatening to kill the press and protesters!!

Is this a police force or an out of control private army? Just exactly Who do they serve? Who do they protect?

Are they psychologically 'capable' of being entrusted with this power and these weapons? Where is the accountability?

The scale of systemic abuse and shootings by 'police' across America, (mostly sanctioned and unpunished) is jaw dropping and is evidenced by an endless stream of videos on youtube and media.

Ok, you can focus on the looting and rioting by the minority but the vast majority are peaceful protesters. Protesting about the violent actions of the 'police'! I wonder where they may get that impression from? :rolleyes:

Arrest the looters. The people themselves have done their best by ringing property and remonstrating with the culprits in order to protect property.

No one is saying such a situation is easy but the heavy handed military oppression of American citizens is the real issue here.

Rather than de escalating and working with the people, the 'police' act like this even with the eyes of the world upon them, (even though they have done their damnedest to block out all coverage), just shows their mindset and contempt for the Constitution.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...will-fing-kill-you-has-been-r#comment-5122124

3. Dixons

Dixons Member

The situation there is totally unacceptable, unarmed civilians being held up at gunpoint by untrained officers with assault rifles. To be honest there is no actual need for these heavy weapons in any police force. They simply make matters even worse.

4. PerkyNorm4u

PerkyNorm4u Guest

Not going to happen. This has been in motion for the last decade if one do their research. Ferguson is about 30 minutes from where I live. To see the police so hype up to the point of attacking peaceful protesters was crazy to me. I'm not talking about the looters but the peaceful protesters who had their right to a peaceful assembly infringe upon by a police force desperate to use their fancy toys they've been dreaming about. And more importantly, these militarized forces are design to primarily attack people of color as some sort of enemy. These are American citizens who have done nothing wrong. They were protesting against an execution of a young man by a person whose job it was to serve and protect. I'm beyond disgusted.

5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I don't think the police would be demilitarized its not going to happen. Even with different presidents serving their terms the police would get their hands on military equipment. I some people are afraid to speak out against the police being demilitarized every since the riots in Ferguson.

6. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2014

Press Release

Washington, D.C. – Today, Rep. Chris Stewart (R-Utah) introduced the Regulatory Agency De-militarization (RAD) Act, which stems the trend of federal regulatory agencies developing SWAT-like teams.
    In recent years, numerous federal regulatory agencies – including the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Food and Drug Agency and the Department of Education – have created their own special law enforcement teams to conduct their own arrests and raids. This is in part a product of the 2002 Homeland Security Act, which gave most Offices of Inspector General arrest and firearm authority.
    "It's disturbing to see the stories of federal regulators armed to the teeth and breaking into homes and businesses when there was no reason to think there would be resistance," Stewart said.

http://stewart.house.gov/media-cent...-to-de-militarize-federal-regulatory-agencies

7. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Aren't they out of control man I already knew that. They have been more chaotic even in these times. I would not ever trust them its a way of keeping myself from getting shot. They were in full riot and swat gear launching tear gas at the protesters over Michael Brown's death then I would have to pray every day for those peoples' recovery. Police are like the local military so you need to be careful where you are stepping.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I agree with Senator Paul on a lot of things, and I definitely agree with him here. While I support the police and think for the most part they do a good job, there's no question that they have been given too much authority in a lot of ways. I don't think your average police force should have military style weapons in order to deal with day to day crimes. I think that type of weaponry should only be available to certain police forces, under very severe conditions in order to keep the peace. I don't think it's a good idea to have police forces throughout the country with military like capabilities. Makes it feel as though we're living in a police state.

10. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

It's really complicated the relation between the US, police, military, weapon manufacturers and selling those weapons, just to many billions involved.