Random Debate!

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Leeaks, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Leeaks

Leeaks Member

Lets play a game :D

You post a politically opinionated comment below and I will try to play devil's advocate in the response section! Anyone can join in, the only rules are that you have to clearly state your opinion within your comment.

2. Leeaks

Leeaks Member

I will even start it off to show how it's done :p

Euthanasia/assisted suicide: Should it be legal or no?

I think:
    It should be legal to terminate your own life if you make the decision to do so. Legally forcing somebody to suffer a slow painful death, against their will, just seems unreasonable. It's not that there are really any good arguments for or against it, we all know what it is and nobody enjoys thinking about it, but I don't think government should make such decisions for us.

3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

My turn....The Death Penalty:

I think:
    I think that we should outlaw the death penalty because it is much more expensive on the state to terminate someone's life rather than let them sit in jail for the rest of their life. It would be torture knowing that you will never leave the confines of the prison you are in and it suits the crime just fine for me. People in prison are rough and the prisoners get scared. I think the criminal should have to suffer for their crime for the rest of their life and have no easy way out.

4. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but how is terminating someone's life in one go more expensive than having to house, clothe and feed them for a LIFETIME while getting no productivity from them? I'd hate to point out economics when human lives are involved, but from an economical standpoint, death penalties costs much less.

Since your stance is also to justly punish the criminals for what they did, I see that you agree that death penalty is a good punishment too, but 'less torturous' compared to life sentence. Well, imo, it is enough for the state to punish the criminal alone for the heavy crime s/he did. There is no need to punish taxpayers as well. It would be very unfair to use taxpayer money to sustain their livelihood in prison.

5. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Maybe if the prisoner is like 80 years old, this would be accurate... but more expensive for a state to do the lethal injection than to house, clothe, feed, etc. someone for literal decades since it was a capital offense? Say what?

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The death penalty is actually more expensive due to the lengthy appeals process. It takes an average of 15-16 years to execute someone sentenced to death, IF they even do end up being executed. I am for the death penalty, but I think that the appeals process should be shortened considerably.

7. ForceofXero

ForceofXero Member

Yeah, that's why there are so many complaints to the death penalty process. Look for yourself with a simple google search. The cost of life is more expensive than the cost of death, so I am for the death penalty.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/

I am for the death penalty, but the appeals should be cut back to reduce the costs - especially in this day and age with science and other technology being what it is.

9. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

I believe this went off topic but, since everyone is talking about the death penalty I will give my opinion. The death penalty should be an option if the crime suits the punishment of death. For instance, if someone murders a child or another person in a gruesome way. But, for someone who kills thier lover with a car no I do not think they should be killed by the government. So, I guess you can say I believe it should apply but, with completely new reasons for the punishments. Maybe we should look into alternative methods of punishment for horrible crimes that we would never think of.

10. ColonelMustard

ColonelMustard Member

I think being lockup in jail for the rest of your life a harder punishment... Besides that you hear quite a lot of stories about people sentenced to death, who appeared to be innocent afterwards..

On the other hand, locking people up in prison costs a lot of money, especially when somebody is locked up in prison for the rest of his life. I don't think it's a good thing to do even more (financial) damage to the country you live in, after you have commited a crime. So in that case deathpenalty would be better for everybody: the criminal doesn't have to spend the rest of this life in prison (well he has to, but it will be significantly shorter) and the government doesn't have to wasted anymore money on people that try to ruin the country.