RARE EARTH Minerals

Discussion in 'Commodities Forum' started by owesem75, Jan 29, 2015.

1. owesem75

owesem75 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, is there anyone here knows exactly what are RARE EARTH minerals? Is this being traded in the commodities market?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I stick to gold, some silver, and at times a little platinum, copper, and palladium here and there. That's pretty much it.

I'm starting to buy a bit more gold via ETFs and to dabble in the mining stocks after having been away from them for a while.

3. owesem75

I wish gold will be on sale very soon!! I was skeptical to invest on it few years back specially when gold prices are very low.. I was very upset of myself when gold reaches the price it is current trading... *sigh*.

4. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

OP I am not sure if you are talking about the investment firm Rare Minerals or asking specifically what is a rare earth mineral. Obviously the investment company specializes in exploration investments and some excavations, probably funds some projects and things of that nature. It appears they have significant holdings in excavations of Lithium.

Rare Earth minerals themselves are elements that are mined and not to common but valuable none the less. I think there are about 17 or so minerals. many are found in clays. Some of these minerals arecerium, dysprosium, erbium, europium, gadolinium, holmium, lanthanum, lutetium, neodymium, praseodymium, samarium, terbium, thulium, ytterbium, yttrium, ferrocerium, monazite, bastnasite, mischmetal. Some soft metals are considered rare minerals. You probably will not find these traded on the commodity markets individually like you would find copper or iron ore. I would look in industrial sectors like mining or refineries. I think gadolinium is used in the medical industry as a component in MRI dyes, so I would also check pharmaceutical companies. You certainly would want to research how the elements are used to find potential stock picks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  5. turt

turt Guest

And to further answer your question, these minerals are used in things like car engines/transmissions, machinery, computers, speakers, headphones, phones etc.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Why do you suppose Russia is hoarding gold right now? They know very well that prices of gold will sky rocket and their investment will pay off. So if you intend to invest in gold NOW is the right time to buy as much gold as you can afford then patiently wait for the prices to start rising.

7. owesem75

thanks for the tip. But i think it is already high. :-(
    Actually, I am in the middle east and I have some friends here who are telling me to wait wait wait wait as the price of gold is expected to go down a little bit..

8. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

I am going to guess you are talking about rare earth elements and not a company named rare earth.
    Funny thing about them, is they are NOT rare. They just happen to be called that, but they are actually abundant all across the world.
    Thing about them is extraction is a dirty, messy business. The only nations able to produce them cost-effectively are ones with little or no environmental laws.
    There is some great stuff on the web about it, look for the exposes on China by the Guardian.
    I guess I need more posts to add links to my posts, of I would link the article I read a few days ago.