Real Estate Agent

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by dianethare, Sep 16, 2014.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

What is the prime work/ work of a real estate agent? How do they get paid? What level of school life does one need to become an established real estate agent? A real estate agent and a real estate broker...is this one and the same thing?...just posing some questions that have been running in my mind all day and no forthcoming answers in sight...i will appreciate the input given and any additional information in that regard...:). Thanks.

2. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

It all depends where you are domicile, but I will try my best to answer your questions. The prime work areas of Real Estate Agents are in the fields of; sales/rentals/leases. Rentals and Leases are not the same, A rental is a short term period wherein a tenant holds possession of the property, typically, weekly or monthly, while a lease is of a longer time period, which normally sees a tenant holding the property in possession for a longer time period, typically, six months to a year, or longer which is set. Real Estate Agents get paid through a listing contract, that is, a contract being between a person(a seller of a home or a buyer of a home) and themselves in which they are to carry out the function of the contract, in the listing contract, there is a commission that is agreed upon and this is the amount of money that the Real Estate Agent will earn upon completion of the contract. It is typical for a Real Estate Agent to first attain a license from the local authority governing Real Estate in your jurisdiction. So I would suggest you research, find out the organisation that licenses Agents, and ask about the process in becoming a Sales person. A Real Estate Agent and a Real Estate Broker is not the same. Fundamentally, a Real Estate Dealer would have a more extensive training than the Real Estate Salesperson, additionally, they would be more qualified in the area of Real Estate. Also, the Real Estate Dealer would be able to exercise more options and act on a wider scale when in the business of Real Estate than a Real Estate Salesperson, finally, the Real Estate Dealer is the employer of the Real Estate Salesperson.

All the best!

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Wow...extensive piece of worthy information...something i could not get within the confines of a classroom :)...i appreciate your input fully :)