Recommendations for stock screening software or any possible options?

Discussion in 'Online Brokers' started by Gomer, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Gomer

Gomer Well-Known Member

Hello, I am Jake, an potential stock investor in Asia and planning to invest both in the US and European stock markets.
    However, I am looking for a stock screening software that fits my needs.

I am looking for a real time stock screening software that I can input very detailed conditions.

For an instance, I input five conditions,
    1. 'price change 50% during the last 5 trading days'
    2. 'volume trade 50 millions or more during the last 5 trading days'
    3. 'net change% lower than positive 50% during the last trading day'
    4. 'net change% lower than positive 50% during the second last trading day'
    5. 'net change% higher than positive 50% today'

Then, I want the program to find any stock that fits my conditions. Of course If I can input more than a dozen conditions at a time, it would be awesome!

Thank you very much,

2. probabletrades

probabletrades New Member

Have you looked at FinViz?

3. Gomer

Gomer Well-Known Member

Now that's some complex looking software, I"ll have a look at it.

thanks

4. hs0zfe

hs0zfe Active Member

How about you doing some of the research yourself?

Are you seeking turnround candidates? Would you go short, too? (I like to look at stock which rose dramatically, like AAPL with a contrarian view)

5. anders

anders Well-Known Member

You can actually write your own software (or pay someone else to write it for you) which will do all those things you're looking for and more. I worked with someone who did something similar to what you're wanting to do, and the project wasn't particularly complicated. There are places where you can hire people over the internet - elance used to be one of them, but I'm not sure if they're still around - and get this done. Let us know if you have any success with it. Good luck.

6. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

You can source the sophisticated software called stock called Stock Screener Pro. It can filter, scan and screen stocks that meet your specific rules. It has many features not available in free online tools. The Stock Screener Pro covers 30 stock exchanges around the world and one can screen a massive population of stocks to find many opportunities that perfectly match your filter rules.

7. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

You can source the sophisticated software called stock called Stock Screener Pro. It can filter, scan and screen stocks that meet your specific rules. It has many features not available in free online tools. The Stock Screener Pro covers 30 stock exchanges around the world and one can screen a massive population of stocks to find many opportunities that perfectly match your filter rules. Many technical analysis filters are included which allow you to apply stock split and dividend rules to ensure your data reflects these corporate events.

8. Gazoo3000

Gazoo3000 Well-Known Member

Has anyone organizes their holdings and watch lists in Excel?

I am thinking some type of color coded system would be useful. I want to view everything on one page.

9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I don't use Microsoft products any more, overmillion for this Android tablet. Google Sheets have a wide choice of GoogleFinance() functions and they let me do a lot. Those, coupled with formatting rules for both text and cell colors, lets one do a lot of "alert" kinds of signals. In my opinion, probably the biggest failing of GoogleFinance() is no lookup of a quarterly dividend but I just manually enter that data to calculate the yield. No biggie.

FWIW, for my portfolio I use the first page for data input, primarily from my broker, plus dividend dates/amounts and earnings reports dates. Whatever is entered flows to other pages. The second page I call "Daily Data" that pulls prices, volumes, 52 week and YTD price changes via GoogleFinance(), calculating gains/losses and portfolio holdings' percentage and ranking. The third page looks at dividend amounts and yields, and counts down to dates for ex-dividend and dividend pay and earnings reports, changing to labels of "Today" and "Past Date" as appropriate. The fourth page, for my portfolio, breaks out the dollars by the GICS sectors. A fifth page gives some ideas on selling some or all of certain holdings within IRAs to make MRDs (those numbers are provided by the broker).

I set up the basic design concept more than 8 or 10 years ago and have tweaked it from time to time. Most recently that was date countdowns (everything else being equal, I hate selling just before a healthy dividend, or missing out on price action before an earnings report) and the MRD pages.

What I don't do is track portfolio transaction dates and amounts. There is no need to do so with the brokerage tracking tax lots and making those available on the web and EOY reports for tax reporting.

The watchlist sheet design is essentially the same, minus dollars.

It may sound like a lot of work to maintain these spreadsheets, but not so. I probably spend less than 20 minutes a week updating the top input sheets or adding/removing rows on other pages. My philosophy? KISS.

HTH and gIves yout some ideas. YMMV.

As I said in my reply to your stop query, I don't know how to export a sheet to include formulas for sharing purposes. If you have an answer I could do so.